We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time to spend

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nola
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how much time to spend

my wife and i are planning on spending

a day and half in Napa and a day in sonoma.

are we not alloting enough time to visit the wineries?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time to spend

It depends on what your goals are.

That's plenty for what most locals here consider a great couple days of relaxing fun in wine country. And then they go back again and again.

There's a gazillion wineries.

If you'd like to try wine tasting, I recommend knowing beforehand what varietals you'd like to try and limiting what you try so that your palette has a chance to differentiate them. The tasting room people will give you more respect for that [and not just roaming about for free drinks and getting loud and drunk] and start opening up bottles for you, for free, that aren't even normally listed for visitors. They will get the illusion that you know what you're doing, especially if you're focused on their proudest products. When you're in their tasting rooms, add to that illusion by intensely showing no interest in anything but the varietal of your day. Your tasting experience will be better too.

Zinfandels are a California specialty. If you're in Sonoma County, you could hit tasting rooms for each of the big three R's: Ravenswood in Sonoma, Rosenblum & Ridge in Healdsburg.

You could also do a day of merlots, or a day of pinots, etc.

Napa
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time to spend

Metry,

I would suggest that you spend two and a half days exploring either Napa or Sonoma. You will spend too much time driving and not enough time enjoying. The Bed and Breakfast that you are staying at will help you with an excellent itinerary that could include large or small wineries, caves, tours, barrel tastings, or just plain relaxing on a deck, overlooking vineyards, sipping on a delicious glass of wine. We can also pair up restaurants with the wineries that you have chosen.

All the best,

Ken Pope

Cedar Gables Inn - A bed and Breakfast

Napa, CA

If you can't stay with us, come by and say hi.