We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milliken Creek Inn vs. Calistoga Ranch + Restaurants

minneapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Milliken Creek Inn vs. Calistoga Ranch + Restaurants

We are trying to decide between Milliken Crrek Inn and Calistoga Ranch - has any one stayed at either one lately? Also, we'd like restaurant recommendations on really good food that isn't too pretentious. Any suggestions?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milliken Creek Inn vs. Calistoga Ranch + Restaurants

I don't have personal experience with either Milliken or Calistoga Ranch, but both have excellent reputations. I believe you may have to decide by figuring out whether you want to be closer to the town of Napa (so. end of the Valley) or at the northern end near Calistoga. Northern Napa Valley is more buccolic and peaceful, while the town of Napa offers more to do (COPIA Food, Wine & Art Ctr., Napa River trips, nightlife, shopping, art, etc). As for good, down-to-earth restaurants, the Wappo Bar and Bistro (Calistoga), Rutherford Bar and Grill (Rutherford) and Cafe 29 (St. Helena) are all recommended. Cafe 29 has good breakfasts and lunches with crepes being their specialty. All of 3 are at the no. end of the Valley, so I guess I have a bit of a bias there!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milliken Creek Inn vs. Calistoga Ranch + Restaurants

I have not seen Calistoga Ranch in person, but my wife and I stayed at the Milliken Creek a few months ago. It was lovely-- the setting is very peaceful, and the breakfasts (brought to your room) feature baked goods from Bouchon Bakery (Thomas Keller of French Laundry fame), and quiches from Sally Gordon (one of Napa's yummier breakfast spots). The fireplace and tub in our room were wonderful.

I agree with Sophie-- Calistoga is a bit more laid back and rustic, and Napa is the bustling center of activity. If you stay at either spot, you will wind up driving to dinner (or anything else)-- but Milliken Creek is only about 3 minutes from the center of town.

We live in Napa, and love it. Being able to walk to dinner (choosing from over 2 dozen restaurants) and having venues like the Opera House, COPIA, the Wine Train, Cafe Society, and several places that have live music, is a real treat.

It sounds like you want to be in more of an isolated setting-- both properties are perfect in this regard, as are the Carneros Inn and Auberge du Soleil.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay in this magical place.

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn