We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking: a tour or not?

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
668 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking: a tour or not?

Hi - we (two couples with kayaking experience) will be in Morro Bay on April 18th and want to do some kayaking in the morning. We know we can rent and go on our own, which we have done many places, but I understand there are some tidal issues here and I'm wondering if we should do a tour. There is a 4 hour tour that includes lunch at the sand spit. Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated. Do we need a tour to get around easily and not get stuck in low tidal areas or is it a piece of cake?!?

Thanks, sue

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking: a tour or not?

I don't think you will get stuck. The Morro Bay ocean is seperated from land by a sandspit. Therefore, the quiet bay ocean water is lovely and the sandspit is a great place to have lunch and relax. It is a very short distance from land.

Morro Bay is a national (and state) Estuary - meaning where river (fresh) water meets ocean water. It is the fingers of river water meeting the ocean that can get so low you would be stuck. But you can easily pick other places to go and avoid this area.

You will have fun. Unless you want someone to give you a natural history - environment tour and tell you about the flora and fauna, I would skip it and just go out and have fun - be sure to know the low and high tide. It does affect the water in the bay drastically.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking: a tour or not?

I've kayaked Morro Bay without a guide. There are shallow parts, but we were able to avoid them. I suggest you check the tide charts and go during a rising tide period. If you go during low tide you might have to drag your boat across the mud to get to the sand.

Launch at the beach north of the Museum of Natural History, but it can be muddy at low tide.

Other launch sites include the marina across from the state park entrance or at the boat ramp at the end of the Embarcadero. These will be less muddy at low tide.

Here is a website: http://www.kayakhorizons.com/map.html