We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of (6) looking for fun in Morro...

Orange County
4 posts
Save Topic
Family of (6) looking for fun in Morro...

South O.County family with (4) kids ages 12, 10, 7, 2 hitting the road to visit Morro Bay Jan 13 to 15.

Mom & Dad prefer nature to Las Vegas & Xbox. Need to keep kids occupied.

Need places to stay, eat, & have fun. Don't mind daily road trips. Any suggestions anyone. Much appreciated!!!!!

RSMFam

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of (6) looking for fun in Morro...

There are elephant seals up the coast about half an hour. Here's a link: http://www.elephantseal.org/ There's a calendar so you can see what to expect during the time of year you visit. For January they have written "Females continue to arrive and give birth, the peak of births occurs in the last half of the month. The first females to give birth, mate, wean their pups, and leave." Should be a good time to go! Whenever we've been there they have volunteers who educate the public about the seals.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of (6) looking for fun in Morro...

Welcome - this is a great time to come to Morro Bay.

I tell everyone I personally know to come in January because the Elephant Seals are giving birth and you will see up to 2,000!!! seals on the beach!! Yep, you read that correct. Their beach is just north of Hearst Castle about 2 miles. Docents will be there to tell you more.

Visit Hearst Castle of course. Reservations usually required.

But another wonderful thing only available in January-Feb - the Monarch Butterflies are here in full population - about 50,000 in a small grove by Pismo state park and it is incredible. We get as many human visitors as butterflies! This is free as is the Elephant Seals and this is now mating season. It is beautiful to see. Lots of Docents to explain things and telescopes set up for viewing.

Take the kids to the Musuem of Natural History in Morro Bay - a hands on museum made just for kids the age of yours. Ask for the Discovery Map when you enter to help guide the kids and help them learn the most. Small gift when they leave for trying to complete the Discovery Map.

Go kayaking! This is one of my favorite things to tell people. January is the bird festival - by the way I do hope you have reservations because we have about 400 people come to attend our famous bird festival. Anyway, there will be an enormous amount of birds to look at and learn about. Maybe get a bird bird at the Museum and keep track of the ones you see.

For mom and dad - be sure to go out to the Montana de Oro state park - one of the most beautiful in our state - and go on one of the gorgeous hiking trails. Visit the Spooner Ranch House out there.

There is a Mission in San Luis Obispo you may want to take the kids to. Also, I would visit Pismo - it is a real family oriented beach town and you can enjoy the beach and the pier and boardwalk of shopping and restaurants all in one place. It's very pretty there.

Anything else let me know. We love living here!

To stay - try a Best Western in Morro Bay. For restaurant eat at Rosa's for fish and garlic chips and do not miss Bayside Cafe in the state park.