We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking and central lodging location

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking and central lodging location

Hi Guys. We are driving down from Monterey to San Diego and planned on staying 2 nites in the Cambria area. We are going to hike along Big Sur and wanted to kayak in Morro Bay the second day for 1/2 day on our own. What is the best location for staying overnight-both nights in Cambria? How far is Morro Bay from Cambria? Or should we just kayak in Cambria? We don't have much experience kayaking but we're comfortable in a kayak so we thought, given the info for TA, that we would go on our own. Thanks very much!

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

I have seen kayakers more in Morro Bay than Cambria. If you want to stay in Morro Bay, the Inn @ Morro Bay is very nice. There is a restaurant, pool and small spa at the Inn @ Morro Bay and the rooms are very nice. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Would it make sense to stay one night in Cambria, then one night in Morro Bay or should we stay in Cambria 2 nights and just backtrack from Morro Bay after kayaking to go to Cambria for the night?

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Cambria is only about 30 minutes from Morro Bay, there are many places along Moonstone Beach Drive that would lovely places to stay. Pelican Cove Inn, Blue Whale Inn and the Fireside Inn are all places we have enjoyed staying in Cambria. :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

I agree with syrahgirl that Morro Bay is more popular for kayaking. The protected harbor and nearby estuary mean calmer waters to paddle through compared to the open sea. You might prefer this option with your limited experience.

If you want to do some ocean kayaking, then you might want to do that in Pismo Beach where you'll find access at the end of Vista Del Mar Ave. in Shell Beach. This is the popular local spot for kayaking.

Morro Bay is 30 minutes from Cambria, Pismo Beach is 1 hour away.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

There is a very nice resort in Shell Beach also called The Cliffs Resort, we stayed there for two nights this past Jan. and loved this resort! :)

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Thanks very much for your guidance. We will kayak at Morro Bay. I believe you can rent kayaks from Montana de Oro State Park, but I think there is a good chance the park will be closed in September. Where else could we go to rent kayaks?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Actually, you can't rent kayaks in Montana de Oro State Park.

Here's a few places in Morro Bay where you can rent them:

Sub Sea Tours & Kayaks: (805) 772-9463

Rock Kayak Company: (805) 772-2906

Sportsrig: www.sportsrig.com 800-601-7575

In Pismo Beach:

Central Coast Kayaks: (805) 773-3500

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I am glad I asked you!

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
481 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

I kayak in Morro Bay often and find it's much more enjoyable to be in its protected harbor than in open ocean like at Cambria. Just be sure to check the tide table to decide on the best time to go out. If it's low tide you'll find you're limited to where you can go without bottoming out. If you go out when the tide is going in or out, just start going against the current (while you're fresh) and return with the current (when you're tired!) and you'll enjoy it even more. You might see seals, otters, pelicans and other wildlife. I've rented from Rock Kayak and they are very good price-wise, with nice equipment and they will give you instruction if you ask before you go out.

Enjoy!

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking and central lodging location

Thank you very much for that insight. Is there a website to obtain tide info?