We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

Hello,

My daughter and I are driving from SF to ? for a tour of the Hearst Castle, and then returning the next day through Carmel and Monterey.

My crisis is that I've just noticed that the hotel rooms at the Best Western Tradewinds in Morro Bay are disappearing quickly, so I need help deciding whether to stay in Rocky Point, San Simeon, or Morro Bay.

I'm under the impression that Morro Bay is the prettiest location.

So, my dilemma is how difficult and time consuming is the drive from San Simeon to Morro Bay? Is it worth the effort after having driven for 4-5 hours from SF?

Time is of the essence, so I do appreciate your spending yours on this.

Thanks,

Pamela7

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

Most people vising the castle stay in Cambria,, a lovely little village just a few minutes south of San Simeon. I live in Morro Bay which is about a half hour south of the castle. Morro Bay is a fishing town with great seafood restaurants and a nice beach for beachcombing. Cambria is more artsy and upscale, also has beach area. I think you mean Ragged Point, which is a beautiful spot, but nothing there but a lodege and restaurant and north of San Simeon. Nothing much in San Simeon at all but a hotel.

Since you are returning the next day, I would suggest Cambria...it is close, beautiful, things to see and do in the evening after your touring, and just minutes from the castle. Robins is a very popular rerstaurant, casual but wonderful food.

Enjoy!

Kris (Seaspirit)

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

Oh, regarding the drive from San Sineon to Morro Bay, nice easy drive, about 25-30 minutes. NOTHING like highway 1 through Big Sur in terms of turns and curves!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

I'm so sorry I could not write sooner. I was off on vacation myself in New York.

As the previous poster said, it is a nice easy drive from San Simeon to Cambria (about 10 minutes) or Morro Bay (about 35 minutes). Cambria is a beautiful romantic town with lots of hotels right on the coast, but very expensive. You will definitely want to stop here to shop and eat perhaps!

Morro Bay is much cheaper and more of a variety of hotels in my opinion. Best Western Tradewinds is a typical BW but with great views.

Hopefully I was not too late to help.

4. Re: Need help ASAP! Where to stay? RPoint, SSimeon, or MBeach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 02, 2009