We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey or Carmel?

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey or Carmel?

My husband and I are going to fly to San Jose Aug 31 for Cal game. We want to drive to Monterey area and I have been doing research in where to stay. Old Monterey Inn looks nice, but would have to choose cheapest room...$300/nt limit. What's your opinion or other suggestions? Thanks, MB

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

There are many options, especially since you're booking so far in advance. The Old Monterey Inn is very nice--lovely gardens. Here are a few other options:

Monterey Plaza Hotel: one of the few hotels on the water. Upscale--has a spa and Duck Club restaurant.

B&Bs in Pacific Grove: Green Gables Inn, Martine Inn--not as upscale as Old Monterey Inn but across the street from the water--great views--and a great place to take walks along the ocean.

Carmel has a number of B&Bs and hotels:

La Playa Hotel, Lobos Lodge (3 blocks from the ocean), Wayside Inn, Carmel Country Inn

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Hi chattlady

I recommend a carriage house room at the Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. They currently run around the $260.00+ price range. The rooms are separate from the main house, but you have access with your room key after staff leaves the property. The carriage house rooms are large, have a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and ocean views. The price includes afternoon refreshments and breakfast in the morning.

You can them out by visiting foursisters.com.

It's my favorite place to stay when I'm in the area.

Chattanooga
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Thanks for the info. I'm really thinking about staying in Pacific Grove now after reading the forums. We are 50 and looking for a romantic place, beach views, and relaxation.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

Be sure to make your reservation early. Summer months book up fast for PG, especially at the B&B's. Check back and ask about area restaurants before your trip... PGd and others can steer you in any direction that appeals to you.

Cincinnati
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

My husband and I stayed in Pacific Grove at the Seven Gables Inn last summer and plan to again this July. Beautiful inn and great service. We stayed in the Seascape room and woke up each morning to the water view. At this inn you can choose to be social or stay to yourselves and have a quiet stay. Highly recommend this B&B.

6. Re: Monterey or Carmel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, August 24, 2009