We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

2 posts
Save Topic
Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

We (me and my boyfriend) are driving up from Sanctuary Beach Resort that morning and spending the day around Monterey before heading up to San Francisco (3rd week in August)

Where are the top seafood restaurants in the area. We would love to be able to find some outstanding clam chowder.

Edited: 3:25 pm, June 30, 2014
ontario canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

we stayed in Monterrey this spring and had a wonderful time. we loved sampling all the different chowders along the warf. believe it or not they are all different (the same, but you could taste a difference).

we heard all about phils in moss landing and just had to go there. we were not impressed at all, but we did like the little moss landing cafe and the deep fried artichokes and something with avocado but i cant remember what it was.

Level Contributor
36,672 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

The Sardine Factory has excellent food. They do sand dabs really well there. A few days ago I had a really good crab melt at The Fish Hopper. Enjoy Monterey! :).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

Passionfish is our favorite place in the area -- great food plus that incredible wine list (both for selection and pprices. Yes, the sand dabs at the Sardine Factory are indeed delish (another fave of mine) the Fish Hopper on Cannery Row is our go-to spot for casual seafood.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

Kitca - What was it about Phil's did you not care for?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

Just for fun, I compared the price of sand dabs at the Sardine Factory and Massaro & Santos: $28 vs $16. I confess that I haven't had them at the Sardine Factory, but I've had them at Massaro & Santos and enjoyed them immensely. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I've always found the Sardine Factory overpriced.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

what about phils that we didnt like. we each ordered a different dish (3 of us) and got huge amounts of food, but it wasnt really good. maybe they have some special there that everyone else knows about? there is a huge menu, so if folks really recommend it make sure you know what to order. everywhere we ate that whole week had better food and a better atmosphere. we ate outside. you think it would be nice, right on the beach. nope, chain link fence, dirty scrappy area with garbage, dirty tables. but the artichoke and avacodo dishes at moss landing cafe were great! very very casual diner atmosphere.

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

PGdenizen, I agree. The view at Massaro and Santos is wonderful. You're on the waterfront. At the Sardine Factory, you could be in anywhere USA. I've eaten at both and would choose M&S every time. The Factory is upscale compared to M&S, ergo the $ difference I guess. In Monterey, you must have sand dabs!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

GWC, thanks for your message. As I said, it's a matter of taste, of course, but I hate to pay for "atmosphere" when it's not the kind of atmosphere I like anyway. Gazing out the window at Massaro & Santos enhances the experience, but I wouldn't go there just for the view either--I've always liked the meals I've had there.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

Thanks for the response kitca. It very well may be that some items are not as good, or maybe it just wasn't what you were expecting. I always get the chowder or chippino, and sometimes some deep fried artichoke hearts or some clams. I am not sure that I've ever actually eaten anything else on the menu, so they may have some sub-par items. Phils has always been a scrappy place though - most definitely. It used to just be a fish market, then they added chowder and chippino - it was self-serve with a few picnic tables on the side. More menu items came along. Several years ago they moved and expanded, and then expanded again to meet the demand, which accounts for the ad hoc atmosphere :-) It is definitely where you go to eat, not admire the view or anything like that.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best seafood restaurant in Monterrey?

Another vote for Passionfish. I usually go with whatever specials they have. I trust their selections. I've probably eaten there 5 times and am looking forward to 6 and 7. They have an excellent wine list and appreciate the pricing and variety for their half-bottles.

Skip the chowder if you are looking for the best seafood. Cioppino is more of a SF dish but probably more representative of CA than chowder.