We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Hello, again, oh wise ones.. I have been doing lots of research on what I want to do with my 19 and 20-year old when we arrive in Monterey July 3rd. I would like to ask .. if you can tell me some restaurants, that my kids might think of as "fun" or where the atmosphere is really fun. I am also asking if you can tell me what restaurant may have the most scenic view. Two different restaurants that we are looking for, that both would have what we east coast folks would consider "normal" food ..? I'm planning Schooners Coastal Kichen for the view and the food looks decent also. Trying to decide if I should go to the scenic restaurant for breakfast or lunch, as I would assume dinner would be too crowded..? As for a "fun" restaurant - they are use to the chain restaurants we have here (Chili's, Red Robin, TFIFridays, etc.", but Monterey or the surrounding area doesn't seem to have many chain restaurants, so your opinion, if you would, on an interesting restaurant that they would like. Please. Thank you in advance.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Hula's Island Grill: http://www.hulastiki.com/

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Schooner's has very good food! For a fun place, try Bubba Gump's. Ghiradelli Chocolates is great for hot fudge sundaes. Have fun! :).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

How about sports bars? With free peanuts, popcorn, pool table and private TVs in booths? Catch a Orioles or Nats game. Your kids can sit anywhere except at the bar. Happy hour food/drinks are cheap. It's "historical" montereyherald.com/ci_21001930/… and oyster.com/monterey-county/…

Not your foodie place, but fun. Plus golf course is around the corner on the property.

Edited: 11:20 am, June 10, 2014
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

schooners is good and we had a meal there just a few weeks ago with our teens. Perhaps our idea of restaurants with kids is different -- we are not looking for chain or 'fun" restaurants but logistics and food -- Schooners was in the hotel and that was convenient. The other place we went to was Restaurant 1833 which is not like bubba gump but has the best roast chicken on the Coast imho (takes an hour) and the desserts are great.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Nepenthe is a bit of a drive but it is the furthest thing from a chain restaurant that I can think of.

And the views are beyond scenic.....

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Nepenthe makes a really good burger called the Ambrosia burger, we like to sit at the rail and take in the panoramic views of the ocean. :).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Had my first Ambrosia burger over 35 years ago.....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Nepenthe is one of those restaurants where if they give me hay, I will say -- the views were amazing and perfect while chomping on hay :-)

The most dangerous place is NOT the drive on hwy 1. it is that shop of eclectic stuff in that Nepenthe building. At times the boys and I have had to push and pull the DW out of that shop....

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

".... At times the boys and I have had to push and pull the DW out of that shop...."...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ah! The Phoenix Shop!! Now THAT'S a FUN place!!! Big Sur souvenirs, unique clothing downstairs (Albeit, expensive) and fun stuff from around the world, including world music.

belo.... just send your DW down and I'll meet up with her there and keep her company, haha. LOVE that place!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun restaurants in/around the Monterey area 4 19/20 yr olds

Oh No. Another fan !!! Scary Kibbles :-)

We were in Monterey a few weeks ago but to quote from Monopoly -- we did not pass go . we did not collect 200... Err did not go south of Pacific Grove.