We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

The wife and I are taking a one night getaway to Monterey next Thursday and are thinking of visiting the aquarium. How much time should we allocate if we were to visit? Would it be crowded on a Thursday?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

howdy Sean -- You going to fanfest this wknd ?

Without Kids I would say a couple of hours and see if your hotel has a better deal on tickets -- some do. Alternatively, if you purchase your tickets online you can skip lines. Typically if you want to see the feedings, I have seen them between 11 and 1 so that is a good time imho to go. I doubt it will be that busy in Feb on a weekday but that is just a guess

Edited: 9:02 pm, January 30, 2014
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

Went a couple of weeks ago and while I didn't time it, I think we finished in a couple of hours. We aren't the sort to stop and see every little thing in detail, so if you are, or you want to see anything there that has a set time, might take a bit longer.

Also I'd agree with the advice above - the prices are a bit steep ($40 for an adult) so try to find discounts in advance.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

A couple of hours is probably a good idea. Should not be too crowded this time of the year. Some motels have package deals as well. If anyone is lurking, we as members usually try to go the last few hours of the day, especially during high seasons. Crowds tend to thin out by then. Seeing the divers in the kelp tank is neat. I haven't been down there yet since the new rescued pup has been displayed, but he should be there still next week.

Edited: 9:13 pm, January 30, 2014
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

... the rescued otter pup...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

Thanks everybody - we're also not the type to stop and look at everything so will allocate 2-3 hours and will purchase tickets in advance.

@belomiser - no fanfest this year - have to work this weekend :(

Level Contributor
37,647 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

Two to three hours is a nice amount of time. Have fun! :).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

If you like educational movies, and watch them all then you could end up spending the whole day there. Otherwise, check show times and schedule your visit around a particular show or movie you want to warch montereybayaquarium.org/efc/…daily.aspx

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

Try to go to the aquarium around 3 pm. During the day, the aquarium is crowded with school kids on field trips. By 3:00 pm, it's less crowded, less noisy and easier to get up close to the exhibits. Many lodgings in the Monterey area offer 2 day tickets for the price of one, so you can always go back the following day to catch what you might have missed the day before. Ask your hotel if they offer those tickets.

Edited: 11:21 am, January 31, 2014
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

Plus think of Cannery Row next to the Aquarium, you could spend all day in the area, or a half day, depends on your style....

Mentioned in this post
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,751 Reviews
Monterey, CA
10. Re: How much time to allocate for the aquarium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2015