We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Monterey

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orem, Utah
7 posts
Save Topic
getting to Monterey

We are going on a Bird watching tour from Monterey Bay in Sept. We can fly into SFO or OAK which would be the best as far as getting to Monterey? I see the Airbus info, would that be better to take that into Monterey and rent a car there, or just rent the car at the airport?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Monterey

SFO is nearer. About a 2 hour drive. The SFO airbus makes two or three stops but its schedule looks as if it takes about 2-1/2 hours. I, personally, would prefer to have a car straight off, but you might check the price difference between renting at the airport v.s. a car rental company in Monterey. Also, see if the airbus schedule is convenient for you both coming and going, assuming you will be returning to the airport after your trip.

Orem, Utah
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Monterey

OK, that helps a lot! Thank you Puter. What route do yo urecommend for us to take form the SFO airport to Monterey? Thankyou!

Edited: 8:40 pm, July 08, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Monterey

<<What route do yo urecommend for us to take form the SFO airport to Monterey?>>

You have a variety of options.

Fastest: From SFO take I380W -> I280S -> Highway 85S -> 101 -> 156 -> 1

A bit more scenic: From SFO take I380W -> I280S -> 85S -> 17S -> 1

Very scenic: From SFO take I380W -> I280S -> 92W -> 1

The difference in time from fastest to very scenic is about 30 additional minutes.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Monterey

RamblinSAl has it. The fastest is still scenic until 85, but then a pleasant drive through residential areas until you get to 101. All freeway.

5. Re: getting to Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014