We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Monterrey - best way

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
SFO to Monterrey - best way

We have a flight into SFO arriving at 1:40PM. We will be heading to Monterrey for the night before starting down the Pacific Coast Highway. Should we take I-280 or the 101 and is it reasonable to think we could get to Monterrey in time to see the aquarium, which closes at 6, or should I forget that dream? It opens too late in the morning to go before we drive south.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Assuming you get in on time and get bags and car it may be just before 3pm and you should follow signs for 280 and take it to 85s to 101s to Monterey. Takes about 2 hours. Are you not Staying and seeing Monterey the next day

If you arrive early and have carryons perhaps you can gain 30 or more minutes

One hour at the Aquarium if you like is what you may get

Edited: 6:12 pm, May 17, 2013
Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Is it going to take much more time to take 280 to 85 to 17 to 1 at Santa Cruz so we can see nicer scenery?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

About the same time without traffic but as you get closer to rush hour traffic on 17 grows and frankly the drive from SC to Monterey does not hug the coast

280 85 and 101 has carpool

Also if you sit close to the aircraft gate, have only carryons and have frequent rental service which bypasses lines at the car rental you can be out faster. If you leave around 2.30 you will get more time at the Aquarium

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

I would not drive 17 unless you have to..........especially as a tourist.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Belomiser gives good directions. The aquarium really needs a couple hours, but you can easily enjoy part of it for an hour. However, the admission price is quite expensive, and I don't think they give discounts for entering during the last hour, so it may not be cost-effective.

If I were on your schedule I'd skip the aquarium and use my limited time to enjoy the spectacular natural beauty of the Monterey Peninsula. The canned habitats at the aquarium are interesting and educational, but they're no substitute for experiencing our natural wonders first-hand.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:31 pm, May 17, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Mr Toy makes a good point. I think the Monterey Peninsula deserves a full day. If you can stay another night that would be fine

In my prev post, I meant aircraft door and not gate :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

As belomiser said, after Santa Cruz, Hwy 1 does not run along the coast, so unless you have a reason to be in Santa Cruz, I would take, from the airport, hwy 380 up to 280, then the 85 exit marked Gilroy. This runs into Hwy 101 and you will take Hwy 156 WEST to get into Monterey.

Highway 280 is quite scenic, by the way. When it was built it was called "the most beautiful freeway in the world". It runs through the foothills of the Coast Range.

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Thank you all for your help. That's the info I needed. If we don't get to the aquarium we'll spend the rest of the day enjoying the peninsula. We have 1.5 days from there to get to Paso Robles.

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

Thank you all for your help. That's the info I needed. If we don't get to the aquarium we'll spend the rest of the day enjoying the peninsula. We have 1.5 days from there to get to Paso Robles.

10. Re: SFO to Monterrey - best way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 19, 2014