We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice........hotel.

usa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for advice........hotel.

Hi every one,

Hubby and I will be in Monterey for 2 nights, 5/16-5/18. Part of a trip up the coast for our anniversary.

It would be nice to have a view of something, not too pricey, meaning maybe under $250.00. We will have a car, but would like to be able to walk to places too.

We're not party people, so more romantic would be the choice.

Aquarium is definitely on our list.

A few hotels I have researched a bit are, The Pacific, The Abrego, The Portola, and maybe the Holiday Inn Express on Cannerey Row.

I would love some opinions on the above, or, of course, am open to any other recommendations.

Thanks so much!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice........hotel.

Hi rmay

I know the Portola is geared more toward business travelers and is located in a busy traffic area. But it is a nice enough hotel if you don't mind possible traffic noise. I don't really know anything about the other hotels you mentioned, but the Holiday Inn would be close to things to walk to including the aquarium. You might also want to look at the Monterey Bay Inn, also on Cannery Row at the quiet end. Also check for possible deals at Spindrift Inn. It's in the heart of Cannery Row, but if you can find a deal on a room facing the bay, you would have less noise to deal with, a pretty room and a great view.

Edited: 5:48 pm, April 28, 2013
Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice........hotel.

Check out The Clement, it is a very upscale hotel with pretty views, right in the heart of Cannery Row.

We have stayed at the Hotel Pacific which is also very nice. :)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice........hotel.

The properties you list are all very different, and cover a wide range of sophistication levels. Comparing them is difficult. For example, the Hotel Pacific is fairly luxurious, while the Holiday Inn Express is just a decent motel.

The Abrego is a former motel that was converted a few years ago into something more upscale. It's near downtown, but it's closer to a very busy intersection of two major avenues. The neighbors are gas stations, a Mercedes dealership, and another motel.

The Portola is centrally located. Downtown and the waterfront are steps away. It's a huge hotel attached to the Monterey Conference Center, so, as Kibblesmom noted, it primarily serves business and convention travelers. The location is great, though, if you like an urban environment in a walkable area. (Might note: the Hotel Pacific is just across the street, and might be a more comfortable choice while offering the same convenience factor.)

But you also said you're looking for something more romantic. Carmel or Pacific Grove might be better areas if that's what you're after.

I suggest you look over this page on my website to help you narrow things down. It describes the different neighborhoods to help you decide which areas and properties will best suit your particular interests. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:48 pm, April 28, 2013
4. Re: Looking for advice........hotel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 30, 2014