We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Area to Monterey

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Bay Area to Monterey

I am looking to drive to Monterey either from San Francisco or Half Moon Bay. I want to use Highway 1. I am driving an SUV I read some post that it is dangerous to drive one. Is there steep cliffs that should be a no-no to drive. Am I taking a chance by driving. What is the best way to go. I really want to see the scenic route.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Area to Monterey

Dangerous to drive an SUV? NO it is a two lane road and hugs the coast and hundreds of thousands of people drive that route. Most of winding parts are in the Big Sur South of Monterey

You can't speed down it you cannot be careless and do need to obey traffic laws but that is stating the obvious.

We get people used to driving on the other side of the road or people scared of heights asking this but the SUV part is simple not true

Edited: 11:40 am, April 24, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Area to Monterey

If you pick up Hwy 1 at Pacifica there will be some high on the cliff driving, I think. They are building a tunnel to go around/under Devil's Slide. Anyway, even if you drive through the area it is not dangerous. If you start at Half Moon Bay, the rest of the drive is easy-peasy. It follows the coast but is not on cliffs. It is not winding, either.

After Santa Cruz, it is freeway, not on the coast. If you take a cutoff before Castroville, this will be two lane, but straight and safe through the artichoke fields. When you come off the cutoff, freeway again.

Not to worry, this is an easy drive.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Area to Monterey

The drive is not an issue for most folks -- just those afraid of heights, etc. It's a lot better (as Puter mentions) with the new tunnel. See http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/dslide/

4. Re: Bay Area to Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 26, 2014