We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

Ok, this question is for my daughter. We will be in Monterey at the Intercontinental this month for 4 days. What are our chances of spotting otters in the bay, is it almost a given? We were planning on the aquarium on the 22nd but now wondering if we should change plans to the 23rd when the otters return. Although thinking it might be a busy day if this has been a much awaited event. Thoughts?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

Was in the Bay at the marina in August last yea for one night and due to my body clock being at sixes and sevens was up and about really early about 06.30hrs and had no problem spotting them

Edited: 3:21 pm, March 06, 2013
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

I am not aware of a season for otters in Monterey Bay. I always see them, kayaking mid morning till lunch, evenings, mid days, early mornings. I see them from lovers point, the rec trail and other places along the shore

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

We always see otters, along with other wildlife, when we visit Point Lobos. Last time we were there in early spring, we saw a mama and her babies...soo adorable! We watched them frolicking around for over an hour.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

I just came from lunch at Sea Harvest in MOss Landing.

You can pretty much always see up to 30 otters right off their deck if you stop there for lunch coming or going.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

We visit the aquarium frequently, but rarely ever go by the otters because there are always too many people crowded around the exhibit. It will be WORSE when they re--open the exhibit.

I would look for them in the wild. A really good place to see them up close is Elkhorn Slough at Moss Landing halfway between Monterey and Santa Cruz.

Edited: 6:24 pm, March 06, 2013
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

Finding otters somewhere along the Monterey or Pacific Grove shoreline is almost a sure thing. Finding otters at a specific location (i.e. outside your hotel) is more of a hit or miss proposition. Otters will come and go, so while there is a good chance you'll see otters from your hotel deck, there are no guarantees.

A couple of pointers. One, otters often look very similar to the bulbous floats on kelp. It's easy to mistake one for the other, especially since otters hang out in the kelp. Two, use your ears. Otters, especially babies, make squealy noises. Also, listen for a tap-tap-tap-tap sound of otters banging shellfish on a rock to break them open.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

Thanks for all of the otter spotting tips. We'll keep our fingers crossed for seeing them in the wild. I think we'll avoid opening day of the new exhibit at the aquarium. It seems to be getting a lot of attention on their facebook page so my first thought was crowds (especially since it's a Saturday), maybe it will be quiet on Friday : )

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

"...... maybe it will be quiet on Friday : )".......

Maybe. I find the aquarium to be less crowded later in the day. Like after 3 pm.

9. Re: Otters in the bay (& aquarium)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 08, 2014