We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

Four adults going to Monterey Jazz Festival September 20-22, 2013. Looking for recommendations on where to stay for three nights: Friday - 9/20/13 through Sunday - 9/22/13. Preferably two bedrooms / two baths.

I've been looking online and am now confused as to where we should stay. Should we stay near Fairgrounds where festival is held? Or in Pacific Grove near Cannery Row? Or near Pacific Street / Munras Avenue? Too many choices !!!!!

Parking for the festival is at Monterey Peninsula College with shuttle to fairgrounds.

Thanks for your feedback!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

The neighborhoods you list are all very different from each other. I have a web page designed to help people like you sort them all out. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

For sheer convenience, the motels on North Fremont are almost all within walking distance of the fairgrounds. That would save a lot of trouble. Of those, the Best Western De Anza Inn is the nicest. But the neighborhood is a busy commercial district, safe but a bit noisy, so you'll have to weigh that into your decision.

The Monterey Hyatt Regency is a more upscale hotel also within walking distance, about three quarters of mile west of the fairgrounds. It's a fairly attractive setting, but it does get some freeway and airport noise. In past years the Hyatt has had some post-festival jazz on site, which would be cool.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

It's going to be hard finding a 2 bedroom/2 bath hotel room in Monterey proper. I suggest you take a look at Andril Fireplace Cottages in Pacific Grove, which has rooms that fit your needs or plan on getting 2 hotel rooms.

Everything on the Monterey Peninsula is close to each other, so find a place that's feels comfortable to you and just go with the flow.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,153 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

I think it really depends on what you will want to do in addition to the Jazz Festival. If you are only attending the festival, then stay at the Hyatt or at one of the places on Fremont St and just walk over - simplest thing.

On the otherhand, if you will be doing other things in the area, stay where ever makes sense for the other things you want to do. Then either drive to the festival or take a taxi if you aren't close enough to walk.

When we have attended a festival at the fairgrounds (the Monterey Beer Festival) we stayed at the following:

Hyatt - easy walking distance, but you pretty much have to drive everywhere else.

Casa Munras - good location downtown, convinient to downtown restaurants, decent walk to the fisherman's wharf area - we also walked to the festival from here, but it was a long walk.

Portola Hotel - I really like this hotel as it is downtown, but also very close to the water. From here we took a taxi to the festival.

I am not sure where we will stay for this years festival...We might do Priceline and see what we end up with.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,153 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

I missed the 2 br 2 ba thing. I'd just get 2 hotel rooms.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

Thank you all so much for your comments. We would like to do "other things" besides Jazz Festival.

I'll go research some more based on your comments.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Monterey Jazz Festival accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 08, 2014