We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

I'm interested in information for doing a pacific coast highway honeymoon trip.

This would be the week of Oct 28th '13 through Nov 2nd '13 how is the weather this time of year ?

I've been put in charge of the planning :) which I love.

I've been thinking about starting it in Monteray, heading to Carmel and Big sur then finishing in L.A.

What is the best airport to start the trip ?

Is this a good starting off point ? we have been to San francisco before so we feel no need to start there, and I've heard great things about the area of Carmel and big sur.

What we enjoy the most is beautiful scenery, hiking and taking photos of beautiful scenery.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hotel suggestions and areas to stop for photo ops would be a great help.

Thanks so much.

Jade.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,885 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Hi Jade

Your name was familiar, so I checked your history. We chatted about Yosemite last year. Hope that trip was fun.

I recommend going up one level to the California state forum. Read the Top Questions in the upper right.

A reasonable itinerary for a Monday - Saturday trip might be ...

SFO - pick up rental car and drive directly to romantic Carmel or family friendly Monterey. Stay 3 nights. On Thursday, drive Big Sur and stop often. Stay in Cambria on Thursday & Friday. On Saturday morning, drive up Hwy 101 to SFO for your return flight home.

The smaller San Jose airport would work well, but sometimes it's more expensive.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

There is a small airport in Monterey but its only served by small commuter planes and tends to be expensive to fly there. so you could do that but it will cost more. I'd probably do it as a loop, starting and finishing at LAX, as there's non-stop flights there from Nashville which seems to be the nearest airport to Bowling Green?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Yes Yosemite was amazing and wonderful :)

I never got around to a trip report I need to do it.

Do you not think LA should be part of the trip ?

Is there a lot of great hiking on the way or would we have to get off track a bit for that ?

It seems like this is quite a popular honeymoon vacation. I'm hoping there are some budget friendly hotels along the way.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,885 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

You only have five nights. How far do you want to travel? If you really want to experience some of the central coast (hiking, winery visits, marine mammal watching, dining, strolling, ...) then I think it's too much to include L.A.

If you prefer a peek at the coast and time in L.A., then maybe LAX - L.A. - Monterey (via Hwy 101) - Cambria (Hwy 1) - LAX would work. But with only 5 nights, that will be a fast paced itinerary.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

"I've been thinking about starting it in Monteray, heading to Carmel and Big sur then finishing in L.A."

Carmel and Monterey are only three miles apart, city limit to city limit. So there's no need to "head" from one to the other en route to LA. You can stay in either town and easily explore the other without changing hotels or anything. I suggest you stay in Carmel, for the town's atmosphere is much better suited to a romantic honeymoon, and the two beaches there are stunningly beautiful. Monterey is busier and more urban. Pacific Grove might also be a good option, as the most romantic B&Bs on the Peninsula are located there and some have terrific bay views. P.G. borders Monterey's northeast side, so it is also very close to both Monterey and Carmel.

This page will help you decide which part of the Monterey Peninsula is best suited to your interests. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

The community of Big Sur is only 45 minutes south of Carmel. You may wish to spend a night there, or you can easily explore it from your Carmel base.

Los Angeles is 7 hours or so south of Big Sur, so you may want to make an additional overnight stop in Cambria or Santa Barbara or someplace in that area.

Late October early November weather can be quite nice. There'll be much less fog than in the summer. But it's also the start of our rainy season, so pack umbrellas. Daytime temperatures tend to be mild (60s, maybe low 70s), and nights a tad chilly (40s).

Finally, just FYI, the coastal highway in Monterey County is called the Cabrillo Highway, named after an early Spanish explorer. It isn't called the Pacific Coast Highway until you get well south of Santa Barbara.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Oops, I meant to say PG borders Monterey's northWEST side, not northeast. Sorry!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

"....I'm hoping there are some budget friendly hotels along the way."

You'll be traveling during the "off-season", so you should be able to find some great mid week rates for lodging. Your Friday weekend night will likely be at full rack rate. Your mid week savings should make up for the higher 1 night rate.

If you go as far south as Cambria (And you should), look at Fog Catcher Inn, Blue Dolphin Inn (They don't allow kids, so a great couples place), White Water Inn, Moonstone Landing. If rates there are still too high for you, then Castle Inn is an affordable ocean front option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Pacific Grove is a lovely little community "between" Monterey and Carmel.

Here are 3 terrific B&B's in Pacific Grove:

The Old St. Angela Inn

http://www.oldstangelainn.com/

The Centrella Inn

http://www.centrellainn.com/

The Green Gables Inn

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/

If you don't stay in Pacific Grove...make sure you visit. It's a wonderful spot.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Well, technically speaking, lest our novice visitors get confused, Pebble Beach is between Monterey and Carmel. Pebble Beach is also between Pacific Grove and Carmel.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pacific coast highway honeymoon trip

Mr Toy..if you are referring to me as a "novice visitor" I have lived in CA and I have been to the Monterey Peninsula / Carmel / Pacific Grove 50+ plus tmes.