We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In Monterey

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
One Day In Monterey

Hi! I'm Betty Lou from the Hawaii Forums.

I am taking a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver in late April - and the ship has an 8:00 to 5:00 stop in Monterey. They are offering NO excursions (seems odd, yes?) - and I am not sure that I need one anyway.

I've ordered some material on-line ... and think that I will generally romp around. I guess I need to say that I have been to Monterey several times ... but it has been at least 10 years since my last visit, so I am fuzzy.

I recall that I loved the Mission. Any idea of the cost of a cab from wherever the ship docks (actually tenders) to the Mission? Where do cruise ships unload their passengers? How about a good place for lunch? And I vaguely remember a wonderful, wonderful bookstore ... City Books? Fog City Books? Something like that.

I have been to the Aquarium several times over the years ... so I probably won't go there.

I am open to ideas!

Thank you, all!

Edited: 12:18 pm, February 11, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In Monterey

Hi Betty Lou....I am not much of a cruise expert, but it doesn't surprise me that there are no excursions offered. Cruise ships rarely call in Monterey and there is fairly active local outcry about the damage that the ships do to the Monterey Bay ecosystem.

The Mission that you are likely thinking about is in Carmel. Carmel is only a few miles as the crow flys, but I am guessing a $30 cab fare each way. Lots of places to have lunch in Carmel as well. Carmel is a great place to spend the day....

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In Monterey

Cruise ships anchor about a mile offshore, and launches bring people ashore. Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure the launches dock at the Coast Guard Pier between Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. This puts you near the shoreline recreation trail which enables you to walk to Cannery Row (to the north) or downtown (to the south).

I can't say what a cab to the Mission would cost, but it's about five or six miles over the hill in Carmel. If you're interested in historic sites like that, you might consider doing Monterey's "Path of History," a self-guided walking tour of downtown's numerous historic sites. Brochures can be found in any hotel lobby, and here's a map: http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-path/apath.html

One highlight is Colton Hall where the state constitution was ratified.

Another is the San Carlos Cathedral which was designed by the same person who designed the Carmel Mission. In fact, it was built on the site of the ORIGINAL(1770) Mission, before Father Serra moved it to Carmel in 1771. It was built in 1794 and, unlike the Carmel Mission which was abandoned for many years, it has been in continuous use since that time. It's at the SE corner of downtown, perhaps a little bit farther than you might want to walk, but doable if you like to walk a lot. http://www.sancarloscathedral.org/

Other stops on the path of history have lovely hidden gardens that are fun and relaxing to explore. There are two of these very close to Fisherman's Wharf, one behind the old Whaling Station in the Heritage Harbor office complex, and another behind the Pacific House at the Custom House Plaza.

You might also enjoy the Museum of Monterey, which covers many aspects of local history. It is also at the Custom House Plaza.

So there's a LOT to do within walking distasnce of where you'll dock.

Alas, most of the local bookstores have gone out of business, except for a couple tiny ones in Carmel and one in Pacific Grove. You may have been thinking of Bay Books in downtown Monterey, which is now gone.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:53 pm, February 11, 2013
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In Monterey

Oops, forgot to mention the Path of History is marked in the sidewalk by small yellow discs. Just follow them.

And the San Carlos Cathedral is listed as "Royal Presidio Chapel" (its original name) on the Path of History map.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day In Monterey

Thanks to you both. I hadn't thought of Carmel - but that would be a great way to pass the day. But it sounds like I have several options on foot from the dock. I'll just be finishing a California history class - so all of my options sound perfect.

Level Contributor
36,378 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day In Monterey

If you go to Carmel, Mission Ranch is a lovely spot for lunch. There is a great outdoor patio there with oceanviews and very good food.

In Monterey check out Restaurant 1833 or Schooner's Bistro on the Bay @ The Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa. Gorgeous views here and this hotel is our favorite in Monterey. Have fun! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day In Monterey

I've stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel for conferences. Very nice. Thanks, syrahgirl.

7. Re: One Day In Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014