We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

On Monday I will be coming up 101 from south, taking Abbott St exit to E. Bianco Road over to CA 68 in route to Pacific Grove.

Can anyone tell me if Abbott St or Bianco Road flood during rains? It is supposed to rain heavy on Sunday and this is the only route I know from 101 over to Monterey area, without overshooting my route all the way to Salinas.

I do not want to go Hwy 1 in this weather as I live on the coast and every raining season Hwy 1 closes down around Big Sur due to large rocks falling on the highway or the road washes out. I don't recommend it to anyone after the rain we have had lately.

Thanks for any advice!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

A more direct route is to take Abbot Street and turn left on Harris Road. Harris curves around and becomes Spreckels Blvd. which takes you right to 68. (Note: if you miss Harris Road you can also take the next left at Harkins Road which also runs into Spreckels Blvd.) You can avoid a lot of traffic that way.

In prolonged heavy rain there might be some localized flooding due to drainage issues, but generally the roads should be passable. South Davis Road can be a problem, but you won't have any reason to take that. Anyway, the worst of the rain is coming Sunday, and shouldn't be a significant factor when you arrive Monday. Nobody's expecting the Salinas River to overflow its banks or anything like that.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

Oh, one more thing, the Abbott Street exit off of 101 is not normal. The exit is from the LEFT lane of the freeway, not the right lane.

-Mr. Toy

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

Thank you so much for your help! Sounds like good advice to me!

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

Thanks so much for your help. Sounds like you know the area well and that is what I was hoping for! I appreciate your advice!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

You can always trust MrToy for information about the Monterey Peninsula. I have learned a lot from him, and I live across the bay in Santa Cruz.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

Awww, thanks.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

I sure appreciate all the advice from both of you. I am a senior and it's a little unnerving driving alone after heavy rains on unfamiliar roads. Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

If you don't mind, may I ask you about dress code at Tarpy's or Sardine Factory? Also, if YOU were going out for a great steak dinner, where would you go? Thanks again for all your help!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

No dress codes that I know of. But fancy would be comfortable at Sardine factory. Great Steak dinners at Whaling station

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for transition from 101 to CA-68 after heavy rain

The Sardine Factory is fairly formal, but I don't think a suit and tie is required. Tarpy's is a little more casual, but T-shirts would be out of place.

I'm not much of a steak eater, but Mission Ranch in Carmel would be a good place for that. www.missionranchcarmel.com/restaurant.html

-Mr. Toy