We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 mile drive

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
17 mile drive

Hi there. We are interested in taking the 17 mile drive from Monterey. However, how does it work? Are we allowed to get off the highway to visit other attractions and then get back on the highway? Or the $10 fee is a per-entry charge?

I was thinking of visiting the Tor house and Carmel Mission Basilica since we are already travelling to Carmel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,139 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 mile drive

Firstly, 17 Mile Drive is not a highway but a single lane coastal road.

The fee does allow you to come and go. But others will have to tell you and remind me how long long it's valid for.

However, once you are on it there aren't (really) places where you can leave other than one end and the other.

You can schedule a couple of hours (including a mooch around Pebble Beach Golf Links) and get it all done.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 mile drive

A meal at Roy's will get your entrance fee re-imbursed. This is a beautiful drive. Tor House is very cool, they offer tours here, also. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 mile drive

Pebble Beach, where the 17-Mile Drive is located, has five gates that you can use to enter and exit. The ones that put you directly onto the 17-Mile Drive are the Highway 1 Gate, the most convenient if you're just arriving in the area via Highway 1, and the Pacific Grove Gate. When you enter and stop at the toll booth, they will give you a map of the drive that shows all the stops along the way. You can make a complete loop of the drive (follow the signs carefully) and then exit where you came in, or you can leave Pebble Beach via a different gate. So, for example, since you want to see some things in Carmel, you could exit via the Carmel gate, which will put you in downtown Carmel. It can be confusing, though, if you don't know the area, so it might be best to enter and exit through the Hwy 1 gate. I'm not sure about being able to re-enter if you leave Pebble Beach without paying again. I'd advise you to get your fill of the 17-Mile Drive and perhaps have lunch (Roy's is good, as syrahgirl mentioned). Then, when you leave, you can continue on to explore Carmel.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 mile drive

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571

17 Mile Drive is lovely, but you might also consider Pt. Lobos state park to explore the amazing coastal beauty and some of the history and character of the region.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 mile drive

I, also would visit Point Lobos instead of doing the 17 mile drive, if you do not have time for both. The scenery is spectacular instead of just pretty, and you have a better chance of seeing sealife.

http://tinyurl.com/aal4h78

Do this instead, unless you love golf courses and expensive houses more.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 mile drive

Hi,

Here is a Google Map of the routing and attractions I recommend:

http://tinyurl.com/17-Mile-Highlights

I would enter through the Pacific Grove Gate and only take the coastal route omitting the hilly areas (extremely boring and not much to see) of the 17-Mile Drive! Follow the route with it's stops like the Lone Cypress Tree (logo of Pebble Beach Company) and finish with a refreshment at the Tap Room or on the balcony of Gallery Cafe at Pebble. Walk down to see the 18th hole. Exit through the Carmel Gate.

pebblebeach.com/dining/…gallery-cafe

I would then park at the end of Ocean Avenue adjacent to Carmel Beach and walk down the "cardio hill" sand dune. Walk north along this gorgeous beach with dogs frolicking everywhere and take in the shore vistas of the 8th through 10th holes of Pebble Beach Golf Course.

If you ate lunch at Roy's, then skip a nice lunch on the patio of Casanova's in Carmel. After I would tour Tor House, Carmel Mission and take a long loop hike at Point Lobos.

http://www.casanovarestaurant.com/

This is a fantastic progression of sites, high-end dining and stunning ocean-side hiking!

Enjoy!

Edited: 2:49 pm, November 10, 2012
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 mile drive

17 Mile Drive is essentially a loop that roughly follows the perimeter of Pebble Beach. The gate fee isn't for 17 Mile Drive specifically, but rather is a blanket admission for the entire Pebble Beach area. So you are free to explore ALL of Pebble Beach, not just 17 Mile Drive, once you're inside. However, pretty much everything you'll want to see is along 17 Mile Drive, so in practice you probably won't want to deviate from it much.

Most people only drive the shoreline portion of 17 Mile Drive between Pacific Grove and Carmel. The inland portions are nice, too, taking you up to the highest areas of the Peninsula (about 700 feet elevation) with views of the ocean on one side, and Monterey Bay on the other.

One question that pops up from time to time is why you have to pay for 17 Mile Drive. Pebble Beach is a unique community in that the "public" areas, including roads and other infrastructure, are privately owned by the Pebble Beach Company. The gate fee pays for the roads - no tax money is involved.

As already noted above, your gate fee can be applied to restaurant bills at Pebble Beach restaurants. Just show your gate receipt to your server.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

8. Re: 17 mile drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 23, 2013