We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

I'll be in Monterey in November. I'm flying out of San Jose on a Monday morning around 10:00 am. I'm trying to decide if I should stay the night, Sunday, (a 2nd night) in Monterey or if I should drive to and spend the night in San Jose. The major factor for my decision is traffic from Monterey to the San Jose airport on a Monday morning. How is traffic going into San Jose on a Monday morning?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

Traffic into SJ from either 101 or 17 will be heavy on any weekday morning. It isn't as bad since they widened Hwy 101 south of San Jose and the recession hit, but traffic is still a problem. That said, I would probably stay the night in Monterey anyway and just get up extra early to get to the airport - the earlier you are on the road, the less traffic you will see anyway. And if you have another person with you, you can use the carpool lane most of the way on Hwy 101. Without traffic, this is about a 90 minute drive, maybe a little less. Give yourself an extra 45 minutes to be safe. This way you get to enjoy Monterey longer.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,719 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

I agree. Just be sure you have allowed for checking in and going through security. Use Hwy 101, Do not try to come to Santa Cruz on Hwy 1 and then take Hwy 17. Winding road, full of commuters going to the Silicon Valley.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

Well, if you're a morning person, stay an extra night in Monterey. If you're not a morning person and are kinda sluggish like me, I'd stay close to SJC to avoid having to rush while half asleep.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

I vote for staying near the airport. Drive to SJ after dinner in Monterey. What more can you do in Monterey after dinner that you can't do in SJ? I'd hate the morning rush to catch a flight.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

Its definitely a matter of preference. Either way will work. I would much rather stay put in the evening and get up a bit earlier. And driving 90 minutes after dinner and checking into a new hotel sounds like a real negative to me. But for others, thats preferable to getting up early.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

I would stay near San Jose Airport so that you can have a relaxed morning and not worry about traffic. Make the most of your Sunday in Monterey. The traffic leaving Monterey heading north is very heavy on Sunday afternoon, so just stay here and enjoy your day and head to San Jose after dinner. That would be my preference.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

Spend a relaxing day in Monterey enjoying the beautiful scenery, have a nice early dinner, somewhere like Schooner's Coastal Kitchen ( we just dined there on Thurs. for the third time) or Sardine Factory, then drive to San Jose and check into a hotel by the airport for the night. Have fun! :)

8. Re: 2nd night in Monterey or drive to San Jose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 09, 2013