We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Topic
restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

heading up to carmel/monterey from cambria. looking for a casual place for light lunch along the way.......

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

There are not a lot of places from Cambria until you reach Big Sur.

Ragged Point Inn is ok - I'm partial to the Big Sur River Inn

http://www.restaurantatbigsur.com/

Casual, comfortable - you can eat inside or outside on their deck and the food is good, fresh and reasonably priced. So much along this stretch is over -priced.

You don't get the coast view from here, but the river flows right next to the restaurant.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

You have limited options between the two.

Ragged Point is less than half an hour from Cambria and the food isn't the greatest.

There's a cafe at Gorda, but I hear the food is bad.

The restaurant at Lucia might be decent, but I haven't tried it personally. The views from Lucia are awesome, though.

The most recommended lunch stop is Nepenthe as you roll into the "village" area of Big Sur. Nepenthe commands stunning views of the Big Sur coastline and the food is decent.

www.nepenthebigsur.com

But as an FYI..... Every dining option between Ragged Point and Carmel is expensive for what you get.

Another option is to buy deli items from Cookie Crock Market in Cambria and enjoy a picnic in one of the Vista Point turn outs on the drive up the coast.

Edited: 9:34 pm, August 19, 2012
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

I'll throw my vote in for Nepenthe, if you want to eat with a view, in or outside.

Never tried Big Sur River Inn, but I will someday I'm sure. I keep trying to book a room there and they're always full!

Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

thank you, all! yes, i see from the menus that the restaurants are pretty pricey. is there a recommended restaurant for light lunch in cambria?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

Robin's on Burton Drive in the East Village:

http://www.robinsrestaurant.com/lunch-menu/

Or...

Main Street Grill in the West Village

Edited: 1:15 am, August 20, 2012
Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill is one of our favorites for lunch in Cambria. They have a nice outdoor patio there with pretty views of the ocean and great fish tacos!

Nepenthe is a very good choice for lunch with a view, also. The Ambrosia Burger is one of our favorite menu items there. :)

7. Re: restaurant for lunch on rt.1 cambria-carmel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 22, 2013