We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Monterey to Heavenly Ski Resort December

Perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Monterey to Heavenly Ski Resort December

We are planning on hiring a car and driving from Monterey to Heavenly Ski Resort in December. Can anyone give me any suggestions ... we have never driven in snowy areas before and wondering if this is something we should or shouldn't do? Is the drive fairly straightforward. Would love advise

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Monterey to Heavenly Ski Resort December

You might be really lucky and there wouldn't be snow on the road. If you've never driven in snow, I wouldn't recommend that be the first place you drive to in snow. Highway 50 (which you'd pick up in Sacramento, but probably wouldn't hit snow for an hour or an hour and 1/2 from Sacramento) is quite curvy in the mountains and has a lot of 2 lane areas, which are even narrower in blizzards or when there's lots of snow piled up. Also, from what I've read on this forum, many car rental agencies won't let you use chains - then you'd need to rent a 4WD vehicle. BTW, the maximum speed limit on roads when chains are required is either 25 or 30 MPH, so you're going slow, but regardless it's a learning curve to learn to drive in the mountains whether dry, wet or snowy - when not to brake, when to downshift, when to drive in lower gears, etc. It's really not difficult (especially with 4WD) once you have a bit of experience and confidence if you're already a good driver.

2. Re: Driving Monterey to Heavenly Ski Resort December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 19, 2013