We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

don't know where to stay

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
don't know where to stay

Coming to california in 2 weeks; will stay 3 nights in san fran and then want to spend time at the ocean. Have booked 2 nights in cupertino and got a great rate on priceline for a 4 star hotel. Looks like it's an 1-1/4 hrs to the coast from cupertino and would prefer to find something closer for 2 nights. I've booked the spindrift for 2 nights, but with taxes it's over $750!! my friend would rather drive the 1-1/4 hrs rather than spend $750.

Any suggestions for a city/town that is within 1/2 hr of the ocean and has a nice, reasonably priced hotel??

thanks so much!!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: don't know where to stay

If you leave in the morning Cupertino is less than 30 mins from Santa Cruz. It's not a tourist town, but it's quiet at night.

You should be able to find something cheaper in Monterey for two nights.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: don't know where to stay

If you give us your exact dates in Monterey, then we can help you better. In the meantime, look at the Best Western Monterey Beach Resort. It's not as upscale as the Spindrift, but it's the only hotel that is located directly on the beach. I understand that the rooms have been renovated and are quite nice. Try to get an ocean-facing room, as the other side face the highway.

There are plenty of places to stay that are not on the water, but that are just minutes from the beach. Cupertino is a decent place to stay, but not if you want the beach/ocean experience. I'm sure we can help you find something in this area for less than $750 for two nights.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: don't know where to stay

There must be hotels in Seaside and Marina and Pacific Grove that are more convenient than staying in Cupertino which is great if you have meetings with the developers for the ipad3 and iphone6 at Apple. It's like staying in Hamilton, ON when you want to see the CN tower or catch a Blue Jays game Oh Well.

But I guess you have the Cupertino hotel booked already. Well you can enjoy Redwoods at Henry Cowell and the Hakone gardens in Saratoga. Please do not get a car when you are in SF and just rent one when you leave SF

Edited: 12:35 am, July 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Seaside
Seaside
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: don't know where to stay

I guess you are going to stay in Cupertino because you booked on Priceline?

Cupertino is not really a tourist venue, but a bedroom community in Silicon Valley. You will be about an hour from Santa Cruz, on Monterey Bay, but I wonder what you will do in the evening in Cupertino?

Where is this "spindrift" which is costing you $750 for two nights? In Monterey or Carmel?

You could stay in Santa Cruz for less than that. and be "at" the ocean. Properties actually "on" the ocean are fairly expensive, but look at the Dream Inn, Sea and Sand Inn, Coastview Inn, Westcliff Inn....to be by the water.

There is an almost new and very nice Holiday Inn Express on Ocean Street which is not near the water, but within a couple of miles. I put up my family here when I have an overflow at Christmas, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,444 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: don't know where to stay

Puter, Spindrift Inn is a small luxury hotel on Cannery Row.

Drsheryl, the dates of your arrival will affect room rates tremendously, so as PGDenizen noted, we can help you better with that information. But unless there's a major event in town that week, finding decent lodgings on the Monterey Peninsula for less than $375/night is certainly doable. If you don't need anything as luxurious as the Spindrift, there are several pleasant motels in Pacific Grove that are quite affordable. They're in a nice forested area, not within sight of the beach but close enough for an easy walk.

This page on my website will help you understand the various neighborhoods better to help you decide which area is best for you. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Mentioned in this post
Spindrift Inn
Spindrift Inn
2,035 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,749 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Level Contributor
37,613 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: don't know where to stay

You are traveling to the coast in high tourist season, that's why the rates are so high. Spindrift is a nice hotel in a great location. Does your room there have an oceanview? We stayed in a King Corner room with a beautiful view of the ocean. The rooms are very nice with canopy beds, window seats, fireplaces for chilly evenings and breakfast delivered to your room in the morning.

The Best Western Beach Resort is a place to look into, it is located right on the beach. We have stayed there several times. They have a great pool area and jacuzzi and an oceanview restaurant on site. The rates at this hotel are also at the highest this time of year.

Have a great trip and let us know where you end up! :)

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: don't know where to stay

thanks, everyone, for your great suggestions!

and, mr. toy, just looked at your awesome website--beautiful!!

i cancelled the spindrift and booked on priceline; got a 4 star for $168 per night in monterey, which of course was the hyatt regency; tripadvisor comments are not spectacular for the property, but it is half of the hotel on the ocean;

thank you again to all that answered!! much appreciated!!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: don't know where to stay

The Hyatt is a decent place. It's a full-service resort style hotel with lots of on-site amenities - far more than Spindrift has. It's a somewhat sprawling property, spread out over a fairly large area. The freeway is out front, but most rooms are set back some distance from it. There's a conference center on the property that sits between the guest rooms and freeway and it shields much of the hotel from the freeway noise. Many rooms overlook a quiet golf course on the opposite side of the property. And the location is high enough that you can see the bay from some parts of the parking lot, particularly near the lobby. I think you did OK. You could do worse for that price.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 11:59 pm, July 05, 2012
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: don't know where to stay

I agree with Mr. Toy. The Hyatt is a nice enough property. The grounds and the pool are quite nice. You can't really walk to things, but it's just 5 minutes to downtown Monterey by car, and 10-15 minutes to Carmel and Pacific Grove. For a truly gorgeous beach, be sure to go to Carmel Beach--it's a wide expanse of white sand with panoramic views. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Level Contributor
37,613 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: don't know where to stay

We just stayed at The Hyatt a few weeks ago. It was nice enough. I hope you get a room away from the highway noise. It could be heard at the pool. We had a golf course view room. The lobby is pretty there and they offer wine tasting, also. :)