We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Alamitos...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Will be in Seaside/Monterey Bay July 27-30. Daughter will be at CSUMB volleyball camp and I am looking for an inexpensive, decent hotel in the area to stay at that is safe for a mid-age woman. Thanks for your help in advance.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

This might take some work - i just checked my usual haunts for lower cost places and they were expensive for both Friday and Saturday night. The Red Bull United States Grand Prix featuring the MotoGP World Championship is going on that week-end in Monterey and seems to have jacked up the prices.

As such, what nightly range would you be comfortable with and will you have a car.....

I usually check out the places in Marina, California as good central location for the 2 - 7 miles to Seaside, 10 to Monterey and walking to a nice beach area.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32683-Marina_Califor…

but the prices were really high which made me think something was going on.

you might want to look for a place further north away from Monterey for the weekend---but even some of those were booked out already.

It looked like Friday and Saturday night was running $250 range for even the more moderate places......

Some have stayed in Watsonville for lesser cost.

Sorry I could not be of more help.. Good luck and hopefully someone can locate something reasonable - best to book as soon as possible given this.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Try the Holiday Inn Express on Del Monte Avenue in Seaside. It's right on the border with Monterey next to the Embassy Suites. It's a safe neighborhood, with a pretty lake and park out back. The motel is five stories tall and has bay views from the top floors on the west side. It is close to the freeway for easy access to CSUMB. There's a Chili's restaurant less than a block away, plus a restaurant at the Embassy next door.

There are other, possibly cheaper motels in Seaside, but I wouldn't recommend the neighborhoods. Another good option is the Best Western DeAnza Inn on North Fremont Boulevard in Monterey. It's about half a mile or so from the southern Seaside border. It is probably the nicest motel in its price range. It has indoor corridors which make it feel pretty safe. There's a Denney's restaurant next door,

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 1:27 am, June 21, 2012
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

No rooms available at the De Anza in Monterey for your days - so don't check there.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Oh dear, mini's post went up as I was writing. I didn't realize that the motorcycle race was that weekend. The Embassy Suites is a beehive of activity for that event, and is likely to spill over to the Holiday Inn Express. The entire peninsula tends to be tightly booked as it is one of the biggest events of the year. The DeAnza is unfortunately sold out.

Unfortunately, I started looking and even the cheapest motels in Seaside or Marina are asking for more than $200/night that weekend. Ouch! Can you bunk with your daughter?

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

London
Level Contributor
905 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Casa munras hotel ?

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Expedia lists Casa Munras at $302 with only three rooms left at that rate. :-(

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

The Gosby House B&B in Pacific Grove (about 15-20 minutes from Marina) has rooms, the least expensive being $180 a night. It's a nice place in a quiet, safe town with good restaurants within walking distance. If I were traveling alone, I'd feel very comfortable there. If you're OK with the price, I'd grab it. I checked a few other B&Bs (one of which is not as nice) and found nothing under $250.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Also in Pacific Grove: Deer Haven Inn $179.67 for king bed and fireplace (which you might actually use in July in this area!)

http://www.deerhaveninn.com/

Sea Breeze Lodge $183 http://www.montereyinns.com/about/

Given how close in price the Pacific Grove hotels I found are, I'd still choose Gosby House--great location in town, very convenient, and just a warm, cozy place.

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

Howard Johnson Marina shows one room left at $195, Discovery Inn in Seaside is $189, El Adobe in Monterey is $212 with free Internet and parking. Vagabond inn in Monterey is $205 and Bayside inn in Monterey is $209. These are Priceline prices. :)

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive hotel in Seaside/Monterey Bay

How about some of those hotels on Munras or Abrego in Monterey? Much older hotels, but usually reasonable.