We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching

Can any locals tell me if it is worth going whale watching in September? Any suggestion who to go with and are there any coupons to be used for the tours? Cannot decide if we want to do the Elkhorn slough Tour or go whale watching? Any help would be appreciated.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

Hi. You can definitely see whales in September. It's the season for for Humpback Whales, Blue Whales and Dolphins. However, no matter the season, it's always hit or miss. It's hard to compare whale watching with Elkhorn Slough since the experiences are so different. Personally, I love the Elkhorn Slough tour because you see so many animals up close--otters, seals, sea lions. There, too, you'll see more animals some days and fewer other days, but I've taken the trip three times and never been disappointed. It's a calm, slow ride, which works for me because I'm very prone to seasickness. Whale watching, of course, means the open sea and the risk of seasickness if that's a problem for you. However, even if that's an issue, there are ways to prevent it (dramamine, a scopolamine patch--get an Rx from your doctor). I'm not sure what could compare with seeing whales in the wild, up close that way. So, I think you have to weigh the two experiences against each other and decide which appeals to you more. Too bad you can't do both--or can you?

Edited: 3:53 pm, March 20, 2012
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

not sure if we can swing both of the tours, we have three nights in MOnterey, but the first day we will driving up from Santa Barabara, so that day will be a write off. Having said that we will be going to the aquarium so likely that should leave an afternoon free. Any preferences for tour operators for the whale tour?

The sea sickness problem is an issue if the operator is not upfront and honest when yu show about the weather conditions!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

Eddie, I don't go whale watching, so I can't vouch for any of the companies. Here is a link to reviews of some of the companies. This should be a good starting point, and then others--those with first-hand experience--should start responding as well: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=whale+watching+monterey+&sub-search=SEARCH&geo=28926&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g28926__2D__i29__2D__California__2E__html

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

If I were going to do a whale watch tour from Monterey Bay, I would book with Sanctuary Cruises in Moss Landing because that's what they specialize in.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

Is there any advantage of going with a longer tour? Monterey Bay is 4-5 hours and the rest say 2-3 hour? of course the Monterey Bay is 48.00 a person, more than the others but your out there longer.

Also, most say park at the Fisherman's Wharf, and then you pay when you leave? How much is parking there? I was thinking of checking with my hotel and seeing if I could park there early and walk to the wharf.

Wasn't sure how much parking would be.

Plus after we get done with the Whale watching, we will be going to the Aquairum. So maybe we should just park in a public lot, if its cheaper

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

There are a few parking lots by FW. Here's a link with pricing (Click on "Waterfront Lots"):

monterey.org/en-us/departments/parking/publi…

For the aquarium, I suggest driving into Pacific Grove past the metered area and park along Ocean View Blvd (Wave Street turns into Ocean View Blvd) and walk back along the rec trail to Cannery Row. Parking is free in that area and it's a short, pleasant walk to the aquarium with views of Monterey Bay and sea lions laying on the beach.

Edited: 12:44 pm, March 21, 2012
MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks for the parking tip!! We will do just that!!! =)

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

We went with Sanctuary Cruises last Sept.

Nice trip saw whales giant fish,seals,etc.

Crew very informative and helpful.

As you enter the parking lot they are located on your immediate left.

9. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, June 20, 2013