We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay overnight?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
305 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay overnight?

Hi,

We will be staying overnight in Monterey after a long drive up from LA. We want to get up early and do the 17 mile drive, then head off to the next stop at Yosemite. I will be looking for a standard motel to spend the night close to the 17 mile drive. Any suggestions on what area or motel to stay in for a night?

Thanks!

pebble beach
Level Contributor
218 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay overnight?

mission valley ranch in carmel i think clint eastwood bought to reserve the land i know there is some interesting history you have to call for reservations just like the old days good luck

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay overnight?

The Beachcomber Inn in Pacific Grove is just a block or two from one of the gates into the 17 Mile Drive, but I can't speak for it personally. No guarantees. Suggest you check out the reviews for it here on TA. It is located close to pretty Asilomar Beach and the Fishwife restaurant is right next door.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay overnight?

If you are looking for a clean but very inexpensive motel, then I recommend the Del Monte Pines Inn on Munras Ave:

http://www.delmontepines.com/

Note: Monterey via Pacific Grove and Carmel are connected by the 17 mile drive coastal route.

For a non-fancy but delicious seafood dinner that evening, I recommend the Monterey Fish House:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32737-d5233…

In the morning, heading to Yosemite, I would drive Ocean Ave in Carmel, enjoy breakfast at the Cottage Restaurant, enter the 17 mile drive at the Carmel Gate and ONLY travel along the coastal section and exit at the Pacific Grove Gate. The upper section is boring, non-scenic and not worth it. The coastal section is well worth it!

After breakfast and before the 17-mile drive, I recommend a nice "hike (cardio dune)" to the north at Carmel Beach. You will pass by holes 8-10 of Pebble Beach Golf Links. Park at the end of Ocean Avenue (appropriate name!)

Here is a Google Map showing the above locations and the Monterey Peninsula Loop route I am recommending:

http://tinyurl.com/Monterey-Overnight-17

You will have plenty of time to explore. Just look at the estimated travel times between destinations to learn how close everything actually is!

Enjoy!

Edited: 10:31 pm, March 11, 2012
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay overnight?

Hotels in Carmel are conventiently located near 17-mile drive but Monterey and Pacific Grove are also just a short drive from Pebble Beach (10-15 minutes).

Check out the Comfort Inn in Carmel, Olympia Lodge or Lovers Point Inn in Pacific Grove and La Quinta in Monterey.

Edited: 5:27 pm, March 15, 2012
5. Re: What area to stay overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, June 18, 2013