We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

I purchased a groupon for a day bike rental in Monterey. I was thinking of biking the 17 mile drive. What are the biking conditions? I understand there will be hills but is there a bike path? Are there places to pull off and take pictures?

London, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

My wife and I drove around it 2 years ago and would say biking would be a great way to see this wonderful coast line. There are lots of places to pull off and take pictures. Don't worry about there being a dedicated cycle path, as the traffic is all moving very slow so people can take in the views.

Weather or not you decide to drive it or cycle it, you will love the views. The drive along (if you're going further) Highway 1 are also amazing.

Have fun.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

I just want to add that some people will not be the best (or the slowest) drivers, so be extra careful if you go in areas that don't have dedicated bike lanes. There is less traffic this time of year than in the summer, so it will be easier if you're coming soon. Enjoy!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

There is a little bit of a hill if you ride the entire 17 mile drive. But if you ride from Monterey, essentially you are riding along the coastline (very flat) and entering the 17 mile drive to the Pebble Beach Golf Course, then turn back. That's where the most scenic points are anyway.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

I have riden it and loved it. Do be careful. Most are slow, but there is the occasional fast non tourist mad local. Hills not too bad. I am in good shape. I think I rode to the cypress tree from the Sunset gate. They will give you a map at the gate (they use to at least). Careful too of golf balls

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

Happyfeet1234 wrote:

<<There is a little bit of a hill if you ride the entire 17 mile drive. >>

More than a little bit. The highest point of 17 Mile Drive is more than 600 feet higher than the lowest point!

Also, there are some spots on the road roughly between Cypress Point and Pescadero Point that have NO shoulders and limited visibility on the curves. One must be extra cautious there.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

6. Re: Biking on 17 Mile Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 19, 2013