We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asilomar ?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HSB
3 posts
Save Topic
Asilomar ?

Does anyone have any thoughts about staying at Asilomar (visitasilomar.com)? I havent seen any comments in the Forum about this place. We have 3 adults and 2 boys 5 and 2.

Cheers

Harlan

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,943 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asilomar ?

We have stayed at Asilomar and its a fun place to go.

One note: It does not have TV in the rooms so if that is a big one fo you not the place.

Given that, its very close to one of the nicest ocean areas - Pacific Grove and is in my opinion equal to or better than (less touristy) than Pebble Beach area.

The lodge itself is fun with many sitting areas both inside and outside - give me a book and the sun and an outside chair any day.

Each of the lodges have rooms....These are comfortable but basic (don't expect luxury but a basic sleep - clean, comfortable, with some having a view of the ocean through one of the windows.) Each lodge has a very nice and comfortable sitting area -many of these are perfect for the family to enjoy. There are pianos to play and some of these places have fireplaces to sit by. In the lodge itself there is ping-pong tables and other games.

The breakfast if they include it in your room rate is good - i.e. its breakfast fair not bruch - but plenty good and filling.

There is a swimming pool on site - you have to look for it as its on the north end of the area - but perfectly fine to swim in.

No hot tub/jacuzzi though if that is something you like.

For a great place for a family outing in an outdoor setting - this place is great....Again no tv in rooms is the only low note if that is a concern.

We've enjoyed going there for a wedding (very nice wedding on the beach and service was very good), for a 3 day business meetings (we had fires and s'mores), and one time for a casual week-end. Each time was different, but each was delightful.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asilomar ?

I can't agree more with mini. This has always been known (by only a few - the reason you don't hear much about it) principally as a conference center. Retreats, seminars, mainly. It's exquisite for these. (But it's by no means a "business hotel".) It's also a favorite for many people to return with their families as a hotel.

It's single-story. Most of the rooms have fireplaces. Many have sunset views through the cypress, and they don't get any better, except during the May-June fog season. You walk across paths and the sand to the porch of your room. You walk across the street to "the rest of the beach" and the ocean.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asilomar ?

.........you'll love the natural setting of the place.....the forest and the beach right out front...........the peninsula is small and you can get to anywhere in about 10 minutes....

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
868 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asilomar ?

My aunt and Uncle love staying there when they come to town. I do not think there are phones either. Or maybe that is just what they tell me.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asilomar ?

Hi HSB,

Asilomar is owned by California State Parks. It is used primarily for trainings and meetings and retreats. This means they are expert at handling many people and the meals are all served family style, with lazy susan's to spin around to reach your condiments.

I have stayed at Asilomar for years and years, both with retreats and meetings and personally for quick trips to Monterey. It is just an exquisite place build on sand dunes bordering the ocean. There are wonderful walks on long wooden planks built to protect the dunes and the plant life and animals. There are often deer and raccoon and other animals munching right outside your room, quite used to all the people.

The location is wonderful. I highly recommend it. (It's true, it does not have all the normal amenities, like TV, but if you really want to get away, the kids should be outside in the ocean air running around.) I love it. And so convenient for great filling meals, and close to the aquarium.

It is a unique place. Go for it!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asilomar ?

........ps: ask if there have been any more mountain lion sightings before you going running through the woods.......there were several sightings during the last year.

HSB
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Asilomar ?

Thank you everyone. I think we are going to pass on Asilomar this trip.

Happy Trails to you all.

Harlan

Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asilomar ?

You might check out the Andril Fireplace Cottages-it's across the street from Asilomar in Pacific Grove. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. They have individual cottages with complete kitchens and TV-DVD's with a free DVD library in the office. They also have a two or maybe three bedroom house for rent. This place is quiet, very clean and you can park very close to your door.

I go to Pacific Grove every year and have never heard of mountain lions in this area. There are always deer wandering around the property and I don't think they would be hanging out if mountain lions were a threat.

Pacific Grove is a gem of a town. The location makes it easy to get to Monterey, Pebble Beach or Carmel. Once you experience Pacific Grove, you will always want to come back.