We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
1 post
Save Topic
The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

We'll be in the Monterey/Carmel area in a few weeks (only 3 days) and I'd love to know which restaurants we MUST eat at for lunch and dinner. We already have reservations at the Duck Club one night but any other ideas would be appreciated. We love fresh seafood if that helps.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

The Fish House on Del Monte blvd. They won't tell the prices of specials they verbalize to you but will if asked. local jnt.

really good oajacan (sp?) at chile peppers in Carmel. on lincoln I think

so many

Monterey
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

Tarpy's!!!!!!!!!!!!! Search the web site www.tarpys.com.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,125 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

rdy4vacation - I second Tarpy's. Its off the main tourist area; the food is excellent; and its a great place to go. I was so glad to find this place!

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

The Duck Club at the Plaza is very nice. If you go to Big Sur, Sierra Mar at the Post Ranch Inn is fantastic. We celebrated a birthday there last September.

In May we went to Bouchee in Carmel for the first time. Loved it and will definitely return. Hope to try Tarpey's and Sardine Factory in Monterey soon. Cheers! :)

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

Lol

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

You didn't ask, but the best breakfast is at the Tuck Box in Carmel. The restaurant is unique, and the food is wonderful. It's truly worth getting out of your hotel for it. Their oatmeal is unusual, and famous, without being exotic. And their scones and marmelade are superb. The restaurant looks like a little storybook house, hobbitlike without being too funky or strange.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

I agree wholeheartedly with Tarpy's Roadhouse--one of my favorite restaurants in a lovely setting. Also: The White House in Pacific Grove--the chef and owner is one of the best local chefs. It's in a Victorian house on Lighthouse Avenue. Unless they've changed it since I was last there, you get a choice of an appetizer, a main course and a dessert for a fixed price. I also love the Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove for lunch. It's a tiny, well, red house, also on Lighthouse Avenue--charming and the food is excellent. They make a BLT that is incredible--topped with caramelized onions on a cheese-herb roll--and their soups are incredible. If you order the sweet corn soup, it's like eating corn--the same with the broccoli, asparagus, etc.. Montrio and Stoke's Restaurant in Monterey also are very good. Most of these restaurants have websites or you at least can find reviews online if you want more info. You don't necessarily have to go to a seafood restaurant around here to get the best seafood. All the really good restaurants offer excellent seafood selections on their menus and then you're not limited in case something else (such as the lamb at Tarpy's) catches your eye. For an all-seafood menu, though, I'd recommend the Sardine Factory on Wave St. in Monterey (one street up from the aquarium). Enjoy!

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

I agree about the White House, Robert Kincaid does an excellent job here. We had an anniversary dinner here and really enjoyed it. It is located in the Hart Mansion in PG. The Old Bath House is also very good, we like their early bird dinners which include everything from appetizers to dessert. Beautiful views of the ocean from the dining room at the Old Bath House. :)

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

......for the freshest seafood go to Sea Harvest on foam street .......they have their own fishing boats and you can pick out whats fresh in the displays........very casual for lunch.......not a fancy dinner place......plus they have free parking.

and the best chowder is at flaherty's in carmel. best place for lunch is the california market @ the highlands inn past carmel and if you go to big sur eat @ ventanas. enjoy

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best restaurants in Monterey/Carmel?

We'll have to check out Flaherty's when we're in Carmel soon. I totally agree about the California Market @ the Highland's Inn. Not so great for dinner (Pacific's Edge is the place for dinner at the Highland's) but great for breakfast and lunch. Love the fish tacos there. :)

The restaurant at Ventana is called Cielo. Very good. Sierra Mar at the Post Ranch Inn is a great place, also with sweeping views of the ocean from the dining room there. We celebrated a special birthday there last September. Stayed next door to the Highland's at the Tickle Pink Inn which is also very, very nice. Can't wait to return to this area soon. Tarpey's is first on our list for a nice dinner in this area. :)