We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weekend in Monterey

London UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
August weekend in Monterey

Can anyone help, please?

We’re coming to San Francisco for a two week family holiday this summer and have a free weekend at the end – 18-20th August. I’d like to see some of the coast around Monterey and the aquarium, but many of the hotels in Monterey are unavailable for 1-2 nights, although there is availability in Marina.

• Is there a particular event that weekend, or is the area just really busy at that time of year?

• If visit Point Lobos or other state reserves/beaches can we get away from the crowds?

• Our flight home on the Monday night leaves SFO at 18.30 and I’m wondering if there would be any pressures (traffic hold ups etc) if we plan to drive back from Monterey on the Monday morning. (Like to get the the airport in good time and return hire car without hassle etc!)

Thanks.

a

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weekend in Monterey

That weekend is the Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca Racetrack, a very popular event, so the hotels and restaurants will be very busy. Have you tried any of the following hotels: Portola Plaza Hotel, Colton Inn, Holiday Inn Express on Cannery Row, Best Western Monterey Beach Resort, Monterey Bay Lodge, Marriott in Monterey. These are a few that I can think of that are worth checking into. Marina is about 15 minutes north of Monterey--not a bad drive, and it's a safe place to stay. In August, Point Lobos and the beaches will be popular places to visit, but with all the beaches in the area and all the trails to walk at Point Lobos, you shouldn't feel overwhelmed by people. My advice for Point Lobos is to go early in the day. It will probably be foggy in August and cooler in the morning, but you'll be walking so it should be comfortable--dress in layers! Monday morning traffic might be somewhat heavier than usual with people leaving town after the auto races, but not a serious problem. If you want to be in the international terminal 2 hours prior to your flight, then you could leave here as late as 2 p.m. and still be there in time to return your rental car.

London UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August weekend in Monterey

Thanks PGdenizen - the race event explains a lot.

I looked at Portola Plaza, but they are quoting £488 (that's over $900) for a standard room for one night!! I'll try some of the others.

At least maybe if everyone's going to the races, other attractions won't be overwhelmed.

a

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weekend in Monterey

If you can stand absolutely "no frills" accomodations in an absolutely breathtaking location try Borg's Motel in Pacific Grove. Family-owned old time motel across the street from the Bay and one of the only places that does not require a 2 night stay. But, I can't emphesize(sp) enough it is BASIC! You could also try the Asilomar in Pacific Grove.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weekend in Monterey

I also agree on trying Pacific Grove. I don't know whether the racers stay there. It is more of a quiet village-type atmosphere, but with many lodgings.

Besides Borg's there are the Bide-A-Wee Inn and Cottages, Andril Fireplace Cottages and many others, listed in AAA, as are Borg's and the Bide-a-Wee, so basic they may be, but at least not flea bags. Actually Bide-A-Wee, gets two diamonds, as many as the Best Western Monarch Resort.

There are also some lovely Victorian Bed and Breakfast establishments iin Pacific Grove, as well...Centrella, Gosby House, Green Gables, etc.

I would do a google on lodgings in Pacific Grove. PGDenizen can suggest some or give you help if you need advice on them.

Another possibility if you are "skunked" is to find lodging in Santa Cruz, from whence you can get to Monterey in about 45 minutes or so. We don't seem to be impacted by the race crowd. So you could drive there as a day trip or two.

I don't think Monday morning traffic is going to be bad for you, getting to the airport. If you need to check in at 16:30 you should have plenty of time. From Santa Cruz we can get to SFO in less than an hour and a half, using Hwys 17, 85, 280, and 380. If you stay in Monterey then I would take 156 to 101, but get off at Hwy 85, then 280, then 380, and a little south to the airport. Hwy 101 is much more congested than the ones I suggested, and they are freeways, as well. 280, is 8-lane divided, through beautiful scenery.

Good luck.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August weekend in Monterey

Arad, I did some checking and found that a number of places in Pacific Grove are sold out (Bide-a-Wee and Andril Cottages, which I would ordinarily recommend). Lighthouse Lodge and Suites has a junior suite (sleeps 4--how many in your family?)--3-night minimum--for $383. That's high, I know. They also have double rooms, but I've heard that the suites are nicer than the rooms. I don't know if a B&B would work for your family, especially if you have young children. If that's a possibility, then consider Gosby House, Green Gables, or Old St. Angela's Inn in Pacific Grove. Also Monterey Bay Lodge and Sand Dollar Inn in Monterey. Don't give up--and act fast!! Good luck.

6. Re: August weekend in Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, August 21, 2009