We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from san francisco airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
driving from san francisco airport

Going to Monterey in April. Mapquest has route that takes 101 to Santa Cruz and then hooks up with Hwy 1. Is it worth driving Hwy 1 all the way from the airport instead? How much longer would this take?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from san francisco airport

Yes, it's worth the extra time involved to travel the coastal route. It would probably add an extra 1 1/2-2 hours to your trip, but if a leisurely drive along California coastline appeals to you, do it. You can take the 101 south to the 92 and head west, which will put you in Half Moon Bay, or take the 280 and hook up with Hwy 1, which will take you to Pacifica.

Of course, the drive through the 17 is a lovely one through redwoods, as well. You just don't get to experience as much coastline on this route, but it is faster.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from san francisco airport

One other option, especially if you want to get to Monterey fairly quickly: from SFO, take 101 all the way south to 156 WEST(the sign will say Monterey Peninsula). You'll stay on 156 for about 5 miles, and then the road becomes Hwy 1--another 15 minutes and you're in Monterey. Then, if you have time while in Monterey, make a day trip to Big Sur (it's an hour each way from/to Monterey). You will see some fantastic coastline on that ride, and Big Sur is well worth seeing. (www.bigsurcalifornia.org)

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from san francisco airport

TO, sometimes when you live in this paradise we call Monterey, you tend to take if for granted. But I get reminded about our ocean views everytime my 83 year old mom comes to visit. She loves the ocean. She reopens my eyes to every crashing wave against the sand and rocks...

The route mapquest gave you, 101 to south 880/17 to hiway 1 is my normal route over the years, only because I never had the time or patience to enjoy our beautiful views of the coastline, north of Santa Cruz. Sometimes our life gets so hectic, we miss the simple things.

I'm a regular on the Vegas forum, the busiest forum on TA, and we did a survey last year. "What was the most beautiful drive you've ever taken?" The overwhelming choice was Highway one down the California Coast.

If you have the time...... take in the beauty of our coastline, take pictures and post them here. (I want to see what it looks like north of Santa Cruz ! lol)

Have a GREAT trip!

4. Re: driving from san francisco airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 27, 2009