We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

Wondering what impact(s) the government shutdown has had on Mojave? I will be be staying in Laughlin, and am hoping to drive out for a day trip, of several hours in the area. I imagine the visitor center is shuttered ... but are all main roads still open? Mojave is a national "preserved wilderness area" and not a "park" so I'm thinking it should still be open. Can anyone confirm or enlighten? Thank you.

Edited: 2:59 pm, October 07, 2013
16 replies to this topic
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

I thought from your phrasing that you were going to the town of Mojave in California. I take it you're going to the Mojave National Preserve. Where in the preserve are you planning on going and how will you get there (e.g., regular car or 4x4)? State highways and interstates are open. Whether any of the other roads, such as the one to Kelso Dunes, are gated (and closed) is the question. It'd be a longer drive, but Valley of Fire State Park northeast of Las Vegas is stunning. I haven't been, but Red Rock Canyon, west of Vegas, is supposed to be quite scenic.

Edited: 4:14 pm, October 07, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

p.s. federal workers dealing with the preserve are likely not working, but the conservancy may be http://www.mojavepreserve.org/

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

Yes, I am talking about the National Preserve.

In normal times, there is no gate, the preserve is literally open 24/7 (except if a major weather event, I suppose). So, in my mind, it would be an odd move for it to be totally shut down. But I don't know for sure, hence my question.

I've been to Fire State Park as well as Red Rock. My interest in Mojave is the chance to go outside of summer, and enjoy it without broiling.

I have a rented SUV, but its not a 4WD, and since its a rental, I am not going to be super aggressive. I'd to access from I-40, and drive to the Providence Mountains Rec area at a minimum.

So, does anyone have info about the roads inside the National Preserve?

Edited: 5:21 pm, October 07, 2013
West Coast USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

Footnote, I understand the Providence Mountains Rec area is closed, I am talking about going to that general area.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,920 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

The roads within the park are open. You may drive the roads but not leave the road and may not walk any areas of the Preserves.

The Kelso Depot is closed as are the bathrooms and parking lots.

Rangers are patrolling the area looking for trespassers.

I received this information direct from the Mojave Conservancy.

Dr. Z

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

I passed thru twice in the last week. The Depot is closed. If you try to go onto the property, the rangers politely ask you to leave,

The most noticable roadblock was Kelso Dunes Road. I am sure others are closed as well.

https:/…

FYI... The Shell Station at Cima Road and I-15 is now closed.

Edited: 5:44 pm, October 07, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

For other places to check out in the Laughlin/Las Vegas area, this site is a good source of info.

www.birdandhike.com

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

Some hikes I am interested in are directly off of I40, or Golfs Road (aka route 66). Are you saying the rangers are shutting these down also? They are stopping hikers? And, I'm curious, who is paying these rangers, I thought they were furloughed.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,920 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

You can NOT walk the trails. There are rangers that are patrolling the areas that will have you leave.

The US Gov't is paying them....not everyone that has a Gov't job is furloughed.

Dr. Z

P.S. I think you meant "Goffs Rd."

Edited: 10:23 pm, October 07, 2013
LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown

The rangers that remain are Law Enforcement Officers.

Please obey the closure and respect their directions. If they tow your car, it will be a long painful walk to your next destination.

Reply to: Mojave and 2013 October Government Shutdown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted