We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to San Diego

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to San Diego

I'm planning a trip from L.Vegas to S.Diego July end with my 14 yr old daughter. I wanted to take the drive through Mojave Desert / Joshua tree down to S.Diego.

Questions;

- What would be the best route for a scenic view.

- Where exactly should I stop.

- How long should this take?

- Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Canada..

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

Hi

Are you planning this for a daydrive?

Ok, leave Las Vegas to I15 and exit 272 to Cima. Now your driving through the largest concentration of Jshua Trees in the world. From Cima along the traintracks on a "dips" road to Kelso Depot and visitor center. A must stop. After that see Kelso Dunes on your right hand side and drive till you reach National Trails highway (old R66). Turn right, stop at Roy;s Cafe, an R66 icon. See Amboy Crater and take Amboy road to Amboy. See the murals in Amboy. Now Joshua Tree NP is close but to drive through it takes a couple of hours with short stops. Ca62 in the Palm Spings direction. In Yucca Valley is the short side road to Pioneertown. Eventually you'll hit I10 and you can drive to SD from here. This all will take all day. Maybe stay Palm Springs and drive to San Diego next day via Palms to Pines hw (74) to Borrego Springs and Anza Borrego DSP and via Julian to San Diego. That will take a lot longer but i't's a very scenic way to get to San Diego.

Count on some 8-9 hours LV-SD with not too long stops and no traffic delays between PS and SD.

Tet

2. Re: Las Vegas to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 09, 2011