We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

Which Mojave hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

Any suggestions for canteens for hiking Death Valley in late June?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

One that holds water and doesn't leak? Seriously; how long of a hike are you talking about? Also, if you go to www.rei.com and type the word canteens in the search feature, you will come up with 4 types with reviews. Chuck...

N California
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

Thanks. I will be car camping in a remote area. I plan on going for hikes about 4-6 hours long, with lunch about half way, and returning to my car camp. I'll only be doing this for 2-3 days. I have used military canteens before and I don't really like them, but they do maintain some coolness for quite a while. I was hoping to find something like a 2 quart container that can stay cool for at least part of my walks.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

You might also try posting your question in the Outdoors/Adventure Forum

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

I think you should post this question on the Death Valley forum. A lot more people look into that one.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

You are going to need more than 2 quarts for a 4 to 6 hour hike in the desert, to be safe. The canteens with the fabric cover that you can wet are good for the cooling feature, but that adds weight. I'd rather carry reliable leakproof water bottles and live with the slightly warm water.

REI has a number of BPA-free options, plastic ones by Nalgene and Camelbak, and metal ones by Sigg and KleenKanteen. I have several of the 2 first ones, and have never had a leak. I'm going to try a Kleenkanteen metal one next.

The hydration bladders like Camelbak and Platypus are less trustworthy. I wouldn't trust one in a life-or-death situation, which is what hiking alone in the desert can be.

6. Re: Best Canteen for Summer Desert HIking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 29, 2009