We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

alexjentravel
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

Hi there,

We're planning on spending the day in Napa and leaving Napa in the evening to drive to modesto for a quick sleepover night just to split the drive from Napa to Yosemite. Can anyone give me an idea of what the drive from Napa to Modesto is like - are there stops for food along the way or will be be driving miles and miles without civilization in sight?

Google directions have us going roughly I80 to I5 to CA4 / CA99...??

Thanks,

Jen

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

I-80 and I-5 are both major freeways. There are plenty of stops in between, mostly fast food though.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

From I 80 you will take 580 to get over to I-5. You will have multiple opportunities to jump off either of these freeways to get food. Just watch the interchanges as you come near them for signs of restaurants. Unless you are fussy, that is. :~)

This route is ALL civilization, and then some.

But if you are going to wait until you get to 580 to eat, then I would watch for Dublin or Livermore exits. there are not as many opportunities on this stretch.

Taking State Highway 4 makes no sense. It is a small state highway north of where you will be. Just stay on 580 to 205 to 120 to 99 and turn south.

280 comes into 580 in a straight line. In order to stay on 580 you would have to turn south. I am sure the signs will help you. Just keep going East and you will run into 99.

Edited: 7:28 pm, September 30, 2012
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

OKAY. I see what google is doing. It is sending you north on 5, after 205, to then take about 4 miles of Hwy 4 to cross to 99 and then go back south again.

This is a 29 mile north/south detour !! An up and down loop.

Just go east and get on 120 to 99. Geez.

Edited: 7:35 pm, September 30, 2012
alexjentravel
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

Oh, Google. Thank so much for the advice. I was going to pull out the handy old paper map at some point, but didn't realize how far off they would be. Should have known!

Great feedback, thanks for the response and guidance.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

680 south to 580 east to 205 to hwy 120 to 99 south to Modesto.

Stop in Livermore or Tracey for food (fast stuff).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

It's two hours but you will want to take Hwy 12 east and then I-5 to Stockton, Hwy 4 to 99 and 99 to Modesto.

I would suggest that you take Hwy 120 to Yosemite and spend the night in Oakdale rather than go to Modesto.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?

I thought about 12 but it is mostly 2 lane with not a very good safety record.

Reply to: What's Drive like from Napa to Modesto?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted