We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heritage house

nyc
3 posts
Save Topic
heritage house

has anyone recently stayed here? my wife and i are planning on a 5 day vacation in May and thought about staying here. any help would be great.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heritage house

I'm curious, too. We stayed there 20 years ago and loved it, but who knows if it's still the same?

new york
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: heritage house

my wife and i were married there 3 years ago during christmas and had stayed there 2 years prior. the location and views and accomodation are great as if the food. the decor is a bit on the victorian/grandma's house but it is still very nice. we are both architects and prefer the modernist/clean design hotels,

the only rooms i would not stay in again would be the seascape room at the southern end of the property. the rooms and everything are nice but we wanted a room with more of an ocean view. the garden suites are very nice and we had one with a very large bathroom, huge soaking tub, fireplace, king bed, and deck.

most all room to the north have great ocean views because they are up on a hill. my wife's parents stayed, i think, in the greenwoods which was more like a hotel room in terms of size and bathroom..but overall much nicer than a hotel room. they had a great small deck where we watched whales the day of our wedding.

the staff are professional and courteous and very helpful. the restaurant is good and so is the food. the breakfast is also good. they do not serve lunch so you have to go out and drive somewhere, which is sometimes not the best if you don't want to leave.

overall, highly recommended. we are going to stay there again this christmas. i am a total hotel snob and expect quality, and this is the only "non" hotel that lives up to my standards. one other great place along the coast by big sur is the post ranch inn...this place is off the charts and highly recommended for a bit more money.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heritage house

My husband and I go to Mendocino yearly. The last time we went, we heard that this property had been bought by a Japanese management group and that the residents were not happy about it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heritage house

We stayed there this summer. As indicated there is a wide variety of accommodations. We stayed in one of the units in the "Barn" which was uite large and had a huge stone fireplace and a deck with a peek of the ocean. We thought the food was excellent. If you are cnsidering a stay I would do it by telephone and have them give you a description of what is available.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heritage house

I believe it was an investment group from the East Coast that bought Heritage House and the property went thru a large-scale renovation and an "upscaling" of amenities and price structure. I recalled reading an article about this in a local business magazine, and I found the same article online: www.northbaybiz.com/index.php…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: heritage house

We've stayed at the Heritage House several times and very much enjoyed the experience. We have not, however, been there since it was bought out by new owners -- who jacked the rates way up. We were last there in the spring of '05 and stayed in the water tower which was very comfortable for three adults. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and the views are gorgeous.

Davis, CA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: heritage house

My parents used to stay there every year during the 60's and 70's so when my husband and I got married my mom gave us four days there as a wedding gift. We knew there would be no telephone or television which was fine with us, but the drawbacks were as follows;

If you like to walk or jog it is on a very steep and twisty part of Highway 1, so jogging is risky. The views are wonderful, but there is no real beach access, just steep cliffs.

You have to get in your car and drive if you want to go anywhere, whereas if you stay in the actual village of Mendocino at one of the many nice places there, you can walk anywhere; to the art galleries, shops, museum, bluffs and the beach.

The food was good, but is part of the deal so you have to have your meals during certain hours and you don't get to check out different restaraunts which is a real deprivation when there are so many good ones in Mendocino.

It is so quiet that my husband said he thought eveyoone in the restaraunt looked like they were dead and he was surprised to see one woman actually laughing and talking animatedly to her dinner companion.

My mom thought it was the epitome of a 'romantic' place, my husband thought it epitomized a place for an adulterous affair. The film 'This time Next Year' starring Alan Arkin was filmed there.

8. Re: heritage house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 26, 2009