We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

We will be visiting the area June 2014. We will be coming from Healdsburg and want to visit some wineries, redwood forests, and then drive down the coast from say Fort Bragg to San Fransisco. I need some advice on where to stop and stay on the coast. Should I spend 2nts in the Mendocino, or elk area and then somewhere further south? We want to relax on this part of our vacation not rush the coast drive. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,487 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

Sure plenty of places to stay enroute 2 in Mendocino and then south you can look at Jenner and the timber cove inn or further south is bodega bay made famous by Hitchcock in Birds Check the hotels in both places and enjoy the north coast. Some great B&Bs in Mendocino

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

We just spent the night in Mendocino and really enjoyed it - the ocean is beautiful! The town is small and quite charming. I recommend a night or two there. The drive north up the coast is beautiful, and then inland to see the Redwoods. If you specifically want to see elk, we saw 2-3 herds in the general vicinity of Orick (Orrick?).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

Yes there are almost always elk in a pasture on the east side of 101 a few miles north of Trinidad, plus around the Little Red Schoolhouse, plus at Elk Prairie . . . we've occasionally seen elk right near "downtown" Orick.

Adventurer15, you might be interested in a night here (see link below). Drawback is there are no restaurants close by:

http://www.redwoodadventures.com/index.php

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

From Healdsburg just take Hwy 128 through Anderson Valley some great wineries there, go to Montgomery Woods some of the tallest trees there and no crowds. Check out Mendocino Coast Botanical gardens,47 acres all the way to the ocean, beautiful. Lot to do for a few days.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

We love the Agate Cove Inn in Mendocino and just discovered the small town of Trinidad this past summer, loved The Trinidad Inn, in the heart of coastal redwoods. So many beach hikes in Mendocino area, Hwy 128 is a great day trip for small towns and wineries, driving Hwy 1 up to Trinidad was incredible.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

AZFan: We just stayed at the Agate Cove Inn in Mendocino -- loved it. What a view!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

Running, I love to look at my pictures of the Inn and the headlands and the waves... I even took pictures of the breakfasts :)

ohio
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

My husband and I stayed at the White Cottage at the Little River Inn near Mendocino a couple of years ago. It was perfect. littleriverinn.com/lodging/oceanside-luxury.…

Really enjoyed the botanic gardens Theresa M mentioned, and Roederer Estate (en route from Healdsburg) for their yummy sparkling wines http://www.roedererestate.com

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

"driving Hwy 1 up to Trinidad was incredible"

Just to be clear, Hwy 1 ends at Leggett. It does not go up to Trinidad. Trinidad is a long way from Fort Bragg. If the Mendocino Coast is your destination, Trinidad may be too far to go although it is beautiful there and Redwood National and State Parks is just to the north.

If you want to see elk, you can do so at other places. One is in the area just north of Hwy 1 where it goes inland from the coast near Rockport about 30 miles from Fort Bragg.

westcountyexplorersclub.com/2013/…

This is a dirt road and not for the feint of heart but is not that difficult.

Another place to see elk is at Point Reyes which would be on your way from Fort Bragg to San Francisco.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights visiting Mendicino redwoods, wineries and coast

Yes, we also loved the Roederer winery, lovely views and very hospitable.

Sorry about miscommunication about Hwy 1. When it did end, my DH announced that it had taken us 37 years, but we had driven every mile of Hwy 1 together, in bits and pieces, and many back tracks, but we finally did it! What we saw on that last leg was extraordinary.