We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for itinerary suggestions

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for itinerary suggestions

My wife and I were in Mendocino a few years ago and enjoyed our stay immensely. Now five of us would like to take a 10 day trip to northern California and maybe Oregon. We were thinking of flying into San Francisco and flying out of Portland. We would like to make three stops in three very different locations. Besides Mendocino, can someone recommend a place to stay for a few nights on our way north. Maybe a nice seaside town, or maybe a place that has good wine tasting. The other thing is we would prefer to rent houses as opposed to hotels. Do most nice houses only rent for the week or do some rent for a few days? Would San Francisco or Oakland be the two most convenient airports to fly into? many thanks in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for itinerary suggestions

There are certainly home rentals that work for less than a week; however it all depends on the details, like where, when, and for how long.

Aside from the question of lodging, you could certainly have a great 10 days starting in SF, then spending some nights in Mendocino, then through the Redwoods and along the Oregon coast. My choices for towns along the coast would be Bandon or Yachats. Both are very scenic but not overly touristy towns and both have easy access to great outings. Between Yachats (Ya-hots) and Portland you can visit the Willamette Valley wine area.

At the Portland end I'd visit the city for a day, but would concentrate mainly on the Columbia Gorge area, staying around Hood River. The combination of the Gorge itself, with its amazing vistas and fabulous waterfalls, the Hood River Valley and Mount Hood, and, just a little east, the winery and "old west" country around Maryhill and The Dalles, makes for a high-density, high-reward touring area. And Portland Airport is just a short drive (west) from Hood River.

Timing is a factor - when would you come?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for itinerary suggestions

It would be around the first week of July. I know that is when crowds become more dense, but that is the only time we can all travel. We were thinking of flying into SF or Oakland, and immediately driving to Mendocino. We would like to spend between 10 and 12 days making our way up north, and eventually leave from Portand. We would rather stay in a place for three nights at minimum to avoid the packing and unpacking.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for itinerary suggestions

We are also visiting Mendocino this July, staying at Agate Cove (return visit) and then three nights in Trinidad to see the redwoods and north coast, then inland to Shasta for the mountains. You can keep going north all the way into Oregon along the coast, it is so beautiful...we are flying in and out of Sacramento. Take a look at www.vrbo.com for rentals.

4. Re: Looking for itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, April 24, 2014