We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak to see whales?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak to see whales?

Does anyone know of any companies that offer kayaking trips to see the migrating whales? Around Point Arena. (The only one I can find in Eureka is too far for us.) Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak to see whales?

Interesting. I never heard of kayaking for whale watching before, but I put in a google search and came up with several near Santa Cruz, which is my territory. This is probably because the whales are sighted in the Bay, not in the open ocean. (I wouldn't want to be in a kayak in the ocean when a whale breached !!!)

This doesn't answer your question, but maybe will deter you a little. Perhaps the reason you can find kayak tours for whale watching in Eureka is that they have a small harbor. I doubt if they, even, would send you out in a kayak in the open ocean to get a close look at whales.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak to see whales?

Thanks. That makes sense. Once I thought about I realized kayaking around here on the open ocean would be difficult in most spots. I had heard about the Eureka location, but didn't realize it was unusual.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak to see whales?

Liquid Fusion is what you are looking for:

liquidfusionkayak.com/…20Coast

The kayaking in Eureka is actually in Trinidad Bay. The company is in Eureka but they meet you in Trinidad for the whale watching tour. We've done the kayak tour there but not during whale migration.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
465 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak to see whales?

I believe liquid fusion is also in Fort Bragg but ocean kayaking is different than river and you have to stay quite a distance away from whales.

5. Re: Kayak to see whales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 17, 2014