We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Mendocino too long?

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Mendocino too long?

We have two nights free before our reservation for the MacCallum House for 3 nights. Should we book in Fort Bragg just before? Thinking of the Beachcomber Motel. Is there enough to do in the area for all 5 nights? We have 2 nights booked in Sonoma at the end of Mendocino and then will likely travel south to San Fran and Monterey/Carmel for 1 night.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Depends on how active you want to be. I love spending 5 days to a week camping in that area, so can do things at my leisure, but there is definitely a lot to do if you want to keep busy. Mendocino and Fort Bragg are so close, and easy to do day trips from if you want to do something like wine tasting in the Anderson Valley. But staying local, there are beaches and parks and coastal trails, plus state parks and botanical gardens, the Skunk Train, kayaking, ocean fishing, for only a few examples. Haven't stayed at Beachcomber (am doing so in Oct), but it has an excellent reputation.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Mendocino & Ft. Bragg are so close you could easily stay in one place for all 5 nights. The way your looking at it is fine as well.

We stay a week or more in Mendocino every year; plenty to do.

On the other hand adding another night or two in SF and/or Monterey would be good too.

Just look at things to do in each area; no bad choices here.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

It would be too long for me. Three would be enough.

Where are you coming from that you only have one night for both San Francisco/Carmel?

Where are you staying in Sonoma?

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

I would love to spend 5 days in Mendocino...there is much to see north and south of it, check out the Anderson Valley as well on Hwy 128 for wineries, small towns and redwoods, definitely worth a day of exploring. The drive down the coast to the south is spectacular, lighthouses to see, backroads to explore. We even did a river kayak trip up the Noyo (Liquid Fusion?) It is a beautiful peaceful corner of paradise.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

I would love to have 5 days in Mendocino area right now! I could really relax and still find plenty to do, when I wanted to do ___. !!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Thanks, we are looking forward to some down time at the beach, hiking the redwoods and a bit of wine touring. I've seen there are many great bakeries and restaurants too...we love good food!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Thanks, we are looking forward to it!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

We are coming from Canada, with our first night in Oregon. We know it's a lot of driving so that's why the long stay in the Mendocino area. We are in a hotel right in the Sonoma Plaza so we can rent bikes? or walk around the town. Can we rent bikes to ride to a few wineries within 5-10 miles? Which ones would you recommend?

It looks like we can use Sonoma as a base to travel to San Fran for a day trip or stay one night in Monterey/Carmel.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Thanks for your reply! It does really look like an area that has everything we like to do...hiking in the woods, beach exploring, taking photographs of sunsets and tasting the local food and drinks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in Mendocino too long?

Yes you can rent bikes in Sonoma The visitor center is in the Plaza in the small stone building and they can give you maps on getting to wineries and info on renting bikes.

Enjoy your stay.

Edited: 7:35 pm, July 28, 2012