We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

Hi- It's been 15 years since I have been in this area. I need suggestions on to-and- from SanFran (spending 2 days) to Mendocino (2 nights at great hotel or B&B .. I understand Heritage House is being renovated)... and spots in between, while coming and going.

Thank you.

smK

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

To:

101 to Petaluma to Bodega Bay (overnight)

Bodega to Mendocino via HWY 1.

Back:

HWY 128 to 101 to SF.

Are you staying in Mendocino the entire time?

There are several wineries along 128; you may want to take one day just to explore wineries. My fav place in Mendocino is Blackberry Inn but lots of choices; go to Mendocino forum.

Fav places to eat:

-Patterson's Pub

-Little River Market (looks like a dive; it is not)

-Mendocino Hotel

-Jenny's Giant Burgers in Ft. Bragg

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,580 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

I agree with DAM's routes.

101 to Petaluma, take the East Washington exit and follow it through town. You will be on the Bodega Highway.

Going up Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay you will cross the Russian River then turn left to get to Jenner and continue on Hwy 1. There are 8 miles of this which rival Big Sur in beauty (and also in driving on high cliffs). 13 miles north of Jenner you come to Fort Ross State Historical park, a Russian outpost in the early 1800's for otter fur trading and to keep their influence in Northern California.

Three miles north of this is the Timber Cove Inn, on fantastic bluffs with great views. I might suggest that you drive this far for an overnight rather than staying overnight in Bodega Bay.

http://www.timbercoveinn.com/

You will go through Gualala, which is a small artists's colony with galleries in town and a very interesting arts center on the south edge of town. Look for the sign...you need to drive into it.

Taking Hwy 128 back to Hwy 101 on the way back is a lovely drive. As mentioned, there are wineries to visit. Have a good trip.

I realize this does not give you two nights at Mendocino. You COULD drive all the way up, but you would miss something by trying to push it. IMHO

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

Thank you DAM. I only want to spend two nights in Mendocino and am looking for suggestions on where else to stay and things to do in the remaining 4 days

I am seaching for accommodations that would include a fireplace and jacuzzi.

(ahhh, aren't we all):)) Is the Napa Dinner Wine Train as charming as it sounds?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

If you follow my suggestion you would have 1 night in Bodega and 2 in Mendocino. That leaves you 3 nights; right? (Trying to help here). Two suggestions:

1) Take 128 to 101 and north on 101 through Avenue of Giants up to Crescent City. 2 nights in Crescent, then drive back. Beautiful country through a lot of giant redwoods around Crescent, But it is a fair amount of driving. Check distances.

2) 128 to 101 to 121 to Napa Valley and spend a couple nights in St Helena area. I've never been on wine train.

My guess from your posts is you would like #2 best.

Blackberry has rooms with fireplace & jacuzzi. Main disadvantage of Blackberry is it is not right on ocean but on east side of HWY 1. Check out its website. Several motels on ocean have both jacuzzi & fireplace.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

I can 2nd that suggestion of the Blackberry Inn. We loved our stay there and would love to go back! You may or may not think the theme of the motel is cute, but the rooms are very nice and don't really carry the outdoor theme. we also liked the Mendocino Hotel for lunch or dinner.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

Mendocino tips: Agate Cove Inn (on the cliff above the water, view rooms, fireplaces and jetted tubs, walk to the headlands), Patterson's Pub, Mendocino Hotel for dining (we ate in the bar with a view of the cliffs and ocean) and Hwy 128 for redwoods and wineries. I could spend a week there easily...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

Thank you all so much. I am having quite a difficult time deciding between this area or Maine. Both breathtaking natural destinations. Or Dungeness crab vs Lobster!

smk

8. Re: 9 Days mid October - San Fran to Mendocino and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 12, 2013