We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendocino Los Angeles

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Mendocino Los Angeles

Hi, my partner and I will be driving to Mendocino from Los Angeles this month. We're looking for a nice town to stay overnight in the middle. Any ideas? We're both from New York and would love to see more of California's beauty.

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendocino Los Angeles

What route are you planning on taking? 101, or along the coast highway 1?

Highway 1 along the coast is the prettiest, but it is a really long drive.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendocino Los Angeles

Using the 101 and I-5, Google maps shows the distance to be around 530 miles or 10 hours of driving. Monterey (or Carmel) is approximately at the halfway point, which would be a great midpoint stop for a day or longer. You could also take Hwy 1 to Monterey, which would make the first day's drive slower but much more scenic. Once there, you can determine if you can get through to LA via Hwy 1.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendocino Los Angeles

BTW, the 10 hour estimate is probably optimistic and is highly dependent on traffic conditions and road closures, especially in the urban areas.

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendocino Los Angeles

I 5 is the fastest and in my opinion the least scenic drive from N. Cal to S. Cal. Using mostly highway 1 it is probably closer to 12 hours of driving. That is assuming that by the time you go, highway 1 is open. Its been closed off and on from Carmel south the last two weeks because of the fires up here.

5. Re: Mendocino Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 05, 2009