We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

San Jose
9 posts
Save Topic
Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

Hello all,

Thanks to your helpful insights I have reserved the Atrium in Fort Bragg for 4th and 5th July.

My husband and I will be staying at the Mutton Manor on July 3 and proceeding to Mendocino/Fort Bragg on the 4th morning. I am anticipating that the drive from Tomales to Mendocino will be around 3 to 3 and a half hours and we should be in Mendocino around 12:30 at the most. Hopefully, we'll be able to catch the parade on the 4th.

Since it's my husband's birthday on the 4th, and this whole trip is kind of a birthday-weekend-celebration, I was hoping to treat him to a massage -- any recommendations for good spas in the area? I've been looking for spa reviews but haven't found any authoritatively good ones so far. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would you know what time the fireworks are in Mendocino and Fort Bragg? I have to make reservations at Raven's in Mendocino for dinner and would like to be able to catch the fireworks after dinner.

On the 5th, I'm hoping we can do the Skunk Train ride and then spend some time at the Glass Pebble Beach. Since most people will be busy with the Salmon BBQ, I'm guessing it would be a good day to take the Skunk Train. We'll probably have dinner at some of the great restaurants in Fort Bragg that evening.

On the 6th, I'm thinking of visiting the Mendocino Botanical Gardens, lunching in Fort Bragg or Mendocino and then driving back to San Jose.

Any suggestions to improve this itinerary would be very helpful.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

MBT.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

Your itinerary sounds good. The parade usually starts around 11 or 12. Check out www.mendocinocoast.com as it gets closer. It only lasts an hour or so. Raven's opens at 5:30 for dinner. It will be a great experience for you. Make time to walk the gardens, etc. before or after dinner.

As far as spas, check out the Bamboo Garden Spa in Fort Bragg. There are others as well. I would call Gail or Mary at the Atrium and ask them as well. It is going to be a busy weekend no matter what activity you do, so the Skunk Train on the 5th is just fine. I would definitely make time to visit one of our State Parks, Point Cabrillo Lighthouse and, of course, the Botanical Gardens. Good choices for dinner in Fort Bragg are Nit's Cafe (many vegetarian options), Mendo Bistro, V'Canto and Piaci's (good pizza & beer).

Have fun!

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

There usually aren't any fireworks in Mendo. There are in Ft. Bragg - should be able to find that infor on the www.gomendo.com website or the Ft. Bragg radio station www.kozt.com. They close off the neighborhood roads near the fireworks site so it takes a little planning and lead time to get a good spot.

Some years we have gone to Point Arena to watch fireworks, too.

Both will be after sunset (9pm or so"? and ya just never know about the fog.

That drive from San Jose to Tomales is likely to take awhile if you can't leave until after work on the 3rd.

Have fun!

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

Both Pt. Arena and Ft. Bragg are having fireworks around 9pm on the 5th of July. I found the Ft. Bragg info at the radio station website www.KOZT.com

Enjoy! We'll see you there.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

Excellent! Thanks a bunch for this info travelngal.

San Jose
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

Had a change of plans. We're now staying at the Sheraton in Petaluma on the 3rd night instead. I'm wondering if we should, perhaps, get a massage done at Osmosis Spa in Freestone(not so interested in their cedar bath) and then reach Mendocino in time for a late lunch (perhaps at the Mendocino Cafe?) before checking in at the Atrium in Fort Bragg.

Am not quite sure, though...if you guys have recommendations for other upscale spas (with excellent services and not just the ambiance)along the way to Fort Bragg, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

MBT.

6. Re: Appreciate your help on itinerary; need advice on spas 7/4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 30, 2009