We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries in the Area

Aurora, Ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries in the Area

My wife and I are driving over from Dixon for a weekend and I was wondering are there any MUST stops for wineries? We are blossoming wine geeks and prefer boutique wineries with smaller distribution and volume. We are stopping at the Anderson Valley Brewing Company, so anything along that stretch of 101?

Also, any tips for a nice dinner (not exclusively seafood)? Something not too expensive - around $150 for two. Romantic would be nice too.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries in the Area

Going along #128 thru the Anderson Valley you'll have lots of great choices. My favorite winery/tasting room stops are clustered around the Philo area (just north of Boonville where Anderson Valley Brewing Co. is located): Navarro (Gewurzt, Riesling and other whites inc. Late Harvests; Pinot, Zin), Greenwood Ridge (Late Harvest Riesling--the best!), Roederer (sparkling wines), Husch (Cab, Sauv. Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Gewurzt), and Handley (Vigonier, Pinot Gris, Pinot and Syrah). Are you staying overnite right in the village of Mendocino? If so, have dinner at either Cafe Beaujolais (Ukiah St.) or Moosse Cafe (Kasten St.)--at the latter, try to snag a table in an alcove area. MacCallum House on Albion would also be a fine choice for a romantic, tasty dinner. If you'll be staying in Fort Bragg, I'd highly recommend the Mendo Bistro on Main St. It has a more casual ambiance tho' and can get noisy if it's a busy time of nite.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries in the Area

Oooops--sorry about the spelling of Viognier!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries in the Area

Been sipping a little Forest? I love Roederer for sparkiling....it's an absolute MUST stop. Also, a really fun stop is Lazy Creek. You will have to mapquest it and follow directions to a T, or you'll miss it. It's in a barn set off the road about 200 feet. Great pinot!

My husband and I have visited practically every stop on that road and we dearly love it. If you get a lunch stop....go to Libby's in Philo. Really authentic Mexican food and totally delicious.

You can't get more romantic than the Victorian dining room in the Mendocino Hotel. You might check the website for prices...it wasn't cheap, but wow was it special. I didn't have the best dinner experience at the MacCallum house. I couldn't eat my entree. Very strange. Loved the breakfasts, though. I loved the Moosse Cafe as well....best mussels I've ever had.

Have a great time!!

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries in the Area

If you're staying in the Mendo/Fort Bragg area you might check out Pacific Star Winery, a few miles north of Fort Bragg on the 1. Its tasting room sits perched on the bluffs overlooking the water. . . very dramatic and beautiful atmosphere with panoramic views of the North Coast. . . .

Enjoy!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries in the Area

OH YES! Do not miss it....it's the most beautiful winery in CA. Take a picnic lunch there, buy a bottle of wine and sit in front of the crashing waves. Ask Sally, the owner, to help you spot the whales.

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries in the Area

We went tasting to Pacific Star this past weekend. Very pleasant experience. They have a great variety of very good winse, it is a very low key personal experience, about as far from the "napa" thing as you can get.

I've been told that "Maple Creek" on 128 is a fun unpretentious stop, too.

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries in the Area

that's very good "wines"

8. Re: Wineries in the Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 09, 2009