We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calling all Mendocino lovers!

I need help deciding on where to stay in Mendocino. I've read so much about the area both here on Tripadvisor and elsewhere, and there are a number of places that seem to get great reviews and I can't decide between them. LlindaC, I read your golist and it was very helpful, but I still can't decide, LOL!

My short list includes the Joshua Grindle, MacCallum House and Brewery Gulch. I'll be traveling on my own--I'm doing a drive down the coast and back from Seattle to SF (have always wanted to do this and am finally taking the time at the end of March), but I also want to "scout" places for a possible romantic weekend at a future date. I'll be staying at Albion River Inn on the way down the coast (or up--haven't quite decided yet) so I'm looking for an in-town experience.

One thing I've heard about the MacCallum House is that the restaurant is better on the whole than the lodging there (in other words, have dinner here but stay elsewhere). Would anyone agree?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Anyone?

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

My husband and I stayed in a lovely little cottage apartment in the middle of town. Here's the website if you are interested:

http://www.beggs-bishopcottage.com/cott.php

It had a cute little garden, and although the couple that owns it live on the property as well, it still felt very private.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Thanks, that looks like a cute place. I'm actually looking for more of an inn this trip however as I like to chat with other travelers at breakfast when I'm traveling by myself.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Hi Northwest. The Brewery Gulch is not in the town of Mendocino, it's about .8 miles away . It was no big deal for us to walk or drive to town, though. I have reviewd the property here on TA. We barely had a view of the ocean from our room. It is across the street and that removes you quite a bit. However, the breakfasts were top notch. The "happy hour" was superb- what a spread! Not your average wine and cheese hour, for sure. Almost a meal there, plus the owner came down and talked to everyone. It was a very jovial place and we had the chance to talk to other travelers. The lobby and eating area is large with a big fireplace, reading materials, games, etc. Every morning on the grassy yard we saw herd of deer. It was very nice!

Have you looked at Alegria? The Cove Cottage is amazing! They have a hottub right next to it which we really enjoyed! never stayed at the Grindle- we stayed in "the barn" at the MacCallum House and really liked it. However, we got our room at www.luxurylink.com so we saved a small fortune. I'd do it again. You are off season, you should be able to find a similar deal either on luxury link or on a website. I wasn't that impressed with our dinner at the Mac house, but the breakfasts were great.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Joshua Grindle is a relatively short walk from Mendo's main st., but it is up the hill. Friends have stayed there and were very, very happy with their experience. I actually had a nice dinner at MacCallum House (fresh salmon), quite relaxing and great service there as well, but from what I've read, reviews have been mixed. To me, the greatest dining experience in Mendo is still Cafe Beaujolais--I love everything about that place! My 2nd best experience has been at Moose Cafe. After staying at Alegria's Cove Cottage, we became very spoiled and now we try to stay there every time we do an overnite in Mendo. It does get booked quickly tho' so don't hesitate.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Thanks very much, I appreciate the additional information. I am adding Alegria to the short list although it does appear that the Cove Cottage is booked for both nights I will be in the area (going down and coming back) so would either of you have a 2nd choice of rooms there?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

The Pacific Suite on the 2nd floor of the main house is quite nice; spacious and with a great view. The Sea Breeze room next to the Pacific Suite shares the same view, but it is small--nice and cozy if you don't mind close quarters. Actually can be very romantic. The Garden Cottage is one cottage removed from Cove Cottage, so still nicely situated altho' not as private as Cove (which is the one closest to the ocean bluff.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Great, thanks!

Rancho Cordova...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

The Joshua Grindle Inn is a great place to stay, lots of privacy, beautiful place. They have several rooms which are not in the main house and include the "water-tower rooms" and the salt box cottages, which are very nice and romantic. The breakfasts are very good. Everything is a short walk or ride away as they are located very close to the town itself, close to the restaurants and shops. The inn-keepers are such nice people and make you feel at home. We have been guests there for about 20 years and always look forward to our visits each time.

There are so many good restaurants in the area, not really sure which is our favorite, but Cafe Beaujolai and Albion River Inn are favorites, as are some in the town of Ft. Bragg, which is a few miles away, north of town.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling all Mendocino lovers!

Thanks, I decided on the Joshua Grindle, in part because they offer a nice "single" rate (since I'll be on my own this trip). So I'll be there on the way down and the Albion River Inn on the way back up. I'm really looking forward to it! I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions and hope to take a peek at a couple other places such as the Alegria while I'm there.