We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Conditioning

Dedham...
Level Contributor
78 posts
51 reviews
Air Conditioning

I know that many people might say that it's not necessary but are there any nice hotels/inns in the Mendocino area that have air conditioning? Thanks!

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
1 review
1. Re: Air Conditioning

We stayed at Whale Watch Inn near Mendocino and it had air conditioning. Certainly didn't need it and I doubt you'll need it for anywhere in Mendocino. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,498 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Air Conditioning

I would not turn down a great place to stay in Mendocino because of lack of air conditioning !!!

You might want, instead, to be sure there are plenty of blankets and some source of heat. And I am serious.

Edited: 11:25 pm, May 29, 2017
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Air Conditioning

I used to live in Boston and the summers could get really hot and humid. People who have never been to the west coast have a hard time believing how chilly it is near the water, even in summer. The ocean here is incredibly frigid because there's a current from Alaska, which means extremely low humidity and cool temperatures most days. You'll almost certainly want a windbreaker or sweater most of the time, and the temps plunge 20 degrees the moment the sun sets.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
550 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Air Conditioning

Hard to believe any place in Mendo has air conditioning. Today we were lucky to hit 55 and I can't remember the last time we hit 80 and that would be in Oct for one day. Bring a coat and ask for e tea blankets.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,258 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Air Conditioning

Air-conditioning in Mendocino is an open window and the ocean breeze!

Dedham...
Level Contributor
78 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Air Conditioning

Thank you for the replies. It makes sense that air conditioning is normally not at all necessary. However, at a hotel we would want to keep the windows shut so we don't hear the outside noise from other people. Because the windows would be shut the room might still get stuffy without some sort of window (or central) air conditioning unit blowing in fresh air(plus the white noise from the unit is nice).

We will stay overnight in a different town but look forward to exploring Mendocino for a few hours on the way!

California
Level Contributor
943 posts
355 reviews
7. Re: Air Conditioning

If you're going up North, I can strongly recommend the Best Western Plus in Garberville, which has A/C -- it's also generally really nice. We go up there for our weekend trips sometimes, my husband and I. It also has a pool. It's a quiet town in general, and many of the times we've stayed, the hotel wasn't half full.

It's in Humboldt County, technically, but it's not so far from Mendocino, and it's an outstanding drive, near to the most beautiful redwoods as well as Shelter Cove. It's also even cooler up that way since it's somewhat mountainous.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Air Conditioning

I never sleep with my windows open. I can't sleep in a warm room. I've been living next to the Pacific Ocean for the last three years with no air conditioning. I've not once needed it. You won't need it in Mendocino.

If the room is warm after dark just open the window for about 15 minutes before you go to bed and put on a hoodie.

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
550 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Air Conditioning

You are at a small inn in Mendo (that is all there is in Mendocino) most likely you will not hear anyone else because there are not anyone else around.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
664 posts
10. Re: Air Conditioning

Might be more important to have a fireplace in your room than air conditioning.