We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

I am a CA native and have lived in Milwaukee, WI..yuck...for 9 years. I was presented with a deal to buy a home in the 250,000 range and move back. Since I miss CA so much and can take the hot weather, could you tell me about the town and the people. I read the other post that I would need to travel for work and we own a home remodeling business so would we do okay there?

Thanks...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

"Manteca" is the Spanish word for "lard." This used to be a huge cattle raising area. I can recall as a child in the 50s and 60s, going through Manteca on Hwy 99 on the way to Los Angeles before I-5 was built. It would be hotter than Hades in the summer, and the area smelled exactly like a huge cattle ranch.

Today, much of the farming and cattle raising is gone and Manteca is a small city. It happens that I was there a few days ago. It is growing like a weed, with strip malls, big box stores, auto dealers, etc. sprouting all over. If you don't like urban sprawl, the mental picture of Manteca in another 10-15 years is not an attractive one.

It is less than 30 miles from two county seats, Stockton and Modesto. County seats have jobs. Stockton has a couple of universities, as does Turlock, about an hour away.

You'll be a little over an hour from San Francisco (longer when traffic is heavy), an hour from the Mother Lode, and a couple of hours from Yosemite Valley. So on the chance that Manteca isn't perfect, it's easy to get away for a day or two.

Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

Thank you Frisco Roadrunner, I appreciate your input and expertise.

It sounds as if we would be fine there as I dont mind city life at all and as a matter of fact, I prefer it so the growth in this town is a-okay with me. What would bother me is if the town ends up with bad people and crime. A good town is just that, a town where people respect where they live and appreciate it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

i just read an article about the forecloser mess that has the worlds stockmarkets in an uproar. Stockton has the highest per capita forecloser rate in the country. Manteca is about 30 minutes away.

i had a job about 10 years ago that took me to several grocery stores in and around Manteca. it was always over 100 degrees and no one i met or saw ever smiled.

my feeling about Manteca then, is the same as your post about Milwaukee...... yuck.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,077 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

I used to live in nearby Stockton, but moved away in '69. From what I hear, the crime is pretty bad there now. With Manteca being so close by, I would be concerned about the area. I suggest you do more research on the area before committing to any move or buying a home.

At the most, I would suggest renting before buying to see if Manteca is a good fit for you. $250,000 seems on the low end for a home that close to the Bay Area. Be careful.

5. Re: Moving from Wisconsin to Manteca CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Manteca