We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

Which Manhattan Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

A few of my girlfriends and I are planning our trip for July. We are young and simply trying to find some fun things to do. Any suggestions? Day time? Night time?

We are all 19 years old, so although we have our driver's license in Canada, i don't think we can rent a car in L.A. until we're 21. Is that right? What would be the best way to get around?

Keep in mind, we're students so we are unfortunately on a bit of a budget.

Thanks in advance!!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

Since you are posting on the Manhattan Beach forum, does that mean you are staying there? Next, please define what "fun" means to you so we can have an idea what to suggest. And last, please provide a US$/per day budget. Chuck...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

I strongly suggest renting a car and E-Z rents to 18+ www.e-zrentacar.com/Locations/California/

If you only plan to stay local, you can rent bikes on a weekly http://www.hermosacyclery.com/rentals.html But that would only make sense based on where you plan to stay.

July is a great time in the South Bay. Suggest you pick up a few of the free local papers (Beach Reporter, Easy Reader) upon arrival and check out what's happening during your stay. You'll find everything from free concerts in the park (Manhattan Beach) or in the beach (Hermosa Beach).

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

Yes, staying in Manhattan beach.

For 'fun', I didn't really have anything specific in mind. Never been to California, so I don't really know what they do best. Maybe something a bit adventurous like scuba diving? Or cool (budget-friendly) shopping areas? Or night time activities? Or the best beaches for young people to go? (we are willing to travel to other areas of L.A.)

Also, I heard about some very chic rooftop pool/lounges in different areas of Los Angeles. Since we are 19 (underage in California, but of age where we're from), would we be able to go and just enjoy the pool/rooftop environment and simply not drink? I know this sounds like a silly question - but I was just wondering how these sorts of things work in L.A. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

And thanks so much for the car rental suggestion!

And will definitely be picking up some newspapers!

Thanks guys!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

In Manhattan Beach check out the Sea View Inn, just up from the beach, and 3 miles south of LAX. Their rates start at $130 a night, quite low for a beach location in LA. They lend bikes, boogie boards, beach chairs and have free parking for their guests. There is a bike path that runs 22 miles from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

The location is near cute shops and restaurants, and the Pier area has lots of activity, watching surfers, volleyball and skateboarders. There is a Mall in town with Movie Theaters, Macy's, Gap, etc.

shopmanhattanvillage.com/info/information.cfm

You could take the Catalina Express over to Catalina Island and do scuba diving over there.

www.catalinaexpress.com

Check on the hotel now, as they tend to book early before summer.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,069 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

You need to be 21 to enter a bar or club -- even if you're from Toronto.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

If you're REALLY on a budget...http://surfcityhostel.com/

7. Re: Trip to Manhattan Beach - July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 30, 2010