We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Lessons and other questions

Which Manhattan Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Surfing Lessons and other questions

We will be in LA area next week. We are planning to stay in Anaheim ,Homewood Suites (as our base) and travel to Manhattan Beach, Disney and Malibu ultimately flying out of LAX. Here are my questions:

1) Anyone have recommendations for good surf lessons on Manhattan Beach for my 11 year old son (first timer), will it be too cold?

2) Is Anaheim a good homebase if we are planning to go to Disney once? We always choose Homewood suites because it is clean and we need a suite. Is there a comparable hotel, more central for us, that will not take us more than an hour to get to LAX on Monday morning?

3) How long of a drive is it from Anaheim to Manhattan Beach in off peak hours

Thanks in advance

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing Lessons and other questions

No, I wouldn't stay in Anaheim if you are only going to Disney one day - its at least 45 minutes from everything else like Manhattan Beach.

I'd have a look at Hyatt Summerfield Suites (on South Douglas St. in El Segundo) or SpringHill Suites (on Aviation Blvd. in Manhattan Beach) - these are both in or right next to Manhattan Beach (and 10 - 15 minutes from LAX), if that is where you will be centering your stay? They are both, I believe, similar style to Homewood - hopefully the rates are similar as well, but I'm not sure.

But to be honest, I'm not sure exactly which part of town to guide you towards, as of the three places you mentioned, none are really very "central" to the rest of LA if you are planning on sightseeing in the main part of LA?

As for weather & surfing, I don't know a good surf school to recommend, but you'll need to buy or rent a wet suit at this time of year, the water will only be 60 degrees or so.

Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing Lessons and other questions

Thanks so much for your reply. We were not planning to sightsee in LA. We will be flying into SF, driving down the coast, staying in Cambria and really want the last part of our trip to be more relaxing. (Except for the disney portion, of course). We will check out the two hotels you mentioned. We have an 11 year old boy and 5 year old girl, so the surfing is for the boy, and disney is for the girl...which is why we are trying to figure out where to stay...

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing Lessons and other questions

Malibu can be visited on your way into the L.A. metro area as it is near the northern edge of it. You might consider visiting Malibu first (and even staying just north of Malibu the night before so that you'll have several hours to explore there). Otherwise, your really driving in three different directions from your home base.

Here's a little map that might help. (note: El Segundo and Manhattan Beach are just south of LAX (and are not shown on the map); Malibu is in the northwest corner of our metro area; Disneytand in the southeast corner.

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Edited: 2:35 pm, March 22, 2010
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,430 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing Lessons and other questions

First, Manhattan Beach is an excellent place for taking a surf lesson for a beginner. My son grew up learning to surf here and still surfs year around.

The most well known and licensed Surf school is in north MB, called El Porto Surf School. Yes, water will be cold, they will fit your son with a full wet suit.

http://www.elportosurfschool.com/

Photos of young students surfing.

http://www.campsurf.exposuremanager.com/

I would stay in Manhattan Beach, it's only a 45 min drive to Disneyland. Check out the Sea View Inn. It's located just down the block from Rosecrans Ave. where the surf lessons are. They have free parking and lend use of bikes, beach chairs, etc. The units have kitchens and some have 2 bedrooms. You would also head down Rosecrans a couple miles to catch the freeways.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

If they are booked up, and they are very popular for the price, as there are not many hotels near the beach, you could try the Marriott Residence Inn or the Hawthorn Suites a mile back from the ocean.

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.hawthornsuites-lax.com/

A fun place for a 5 year old is Adventureplex in MB.

www.adventureplex.org/default.asp…

5. Re: Surfing Lessons and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 20, 2010